cyclists - the not so good

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Why do cyclists not to a lifesaver check - is there any reason??

For the same reason most motorcyclists don't, I should think.

For the same reason motorcyclists unlawfully stop in cycle-only stop zones.

For the same reasons motorcyclists buy 200 BHP bikes and ride them twice a year, and never develop the skills and experience to properly manage such a machine.

For the same reason no motorcyclist in the history of the world, ever, has obeyed a speed limit (except for me).

Tim Hall

- Cyclists take risks, NEVER look over their shoulder if they're overtaking a vehicle or another cyclist.
Uh huh. "Never" is a fairly definite statement. You sure about that?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
OP
OP
F

Fraser1

Why do motorcyclists regularly break speeding laws knowing full well in increases the likelihood of their death and other road users?

Ps I always shoulder check. As does my wife. And my kids. We do it to watch out for stupid overtakes of cars and motorcyclists who are speeding and can't wait or understand what a cycle box is.

No Marky, you do a lifesaver check if YOU are overtaking or turning left. I think you're confused here.

Ps - why would you do a lifesaver check in a cycle box?? You are stationary. Here's some more info on lifesaver checks so you can learn more about them:

http://begin-motorcycling.co.uk/the-5-elements-of-cbt/element-c/indicating-observation-osmpsl/

OP
OP
F

Fraser1

Why did you put yourself in that compromised position? (if not to abuse the cycle only facility)

No-one said you did but you are taking an observation and applying it to all people who cycle.

See what I mean?

It's a simple observation though, and you're taking it personally. When you commute back later, look and see how many look over their shoulder when they overtake.

OP
OP
F

Fraser1

To be fair, I said he did. Sorry! Was using exaggeration to highlight my point.

I hate seeing cyclists moving out in traffic without checking over their shoulder, but find it's a tiny minority who do this.

A tiny minority - you must be kidding odav. As I said to another poster - count up the checks over shoulder tonight.

J1888

Über Member
Odd, I commute every day in London (admittedly not West London). I and many other cyclists do check over our shoulders. Some don't and I think they're silly.

Then again, there are many muppets in cars and on motorbikes as well; my favourite moment with a motorcyclist was one who decided he'd come into the cycle box, and position himself in the far right of it, then try and turn left across me when the lights changed. When I exclaimed 'what the fark', he promptly stopped during his manoeuvre, did the old 'caaaaaam onnn thennnn' routine, made a pathetic attempt to throw his head towards me, then rode off.

So there you go, w@nkers everywhere.

OP
OP
F

Fraser1

"Why do cyclists not do a lifesaver check?" is like asking "Why do drivers drink & drive/use phones/kill people?"

Please get the generalisations out of your head. As a driver I'm not asked to explain/excuse the actions of other drivers, and as a cyclist it's not for me to explain/excuse the actions of other cyclists.

I get the impression everybody on this forum thinks I'm personally attacking cyclists, I don't mean to be. I do however think there should be some kind of campaign to highlight the importance of checking over your shoulder on a push bike. I do not see many cyclists do it and it could save lives.

OP
OP
F

Fraser1

I look all around the in cycleboxes fir impatient idiots that shouldn't be there.

lol ok you got me there!

but pleased I passed on some good info to you on checking over your shoulder when YOU are overtaking, not when cars/ motorbikes are overtaking you. Glad I came on now to help and teach you this, it's very important

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Ps - why would you do a lifesaver check in a cycle box??

To look for any motorcyclists abusing the facility and about to skim me when the lights change?

It's a simple observation though, and you're taking it personally. When you commute back later, look and see how many look over their shoulder when they overtake.

I see the vast majority of cyclists doing proper checks.

Any chance of answering my question as to why you positioned yourself so badly?

J1888

Über Member
I get the impression everybody on this forum thinks I'm personally attacking cyclists, I don't mean to be. I do however think there should be some kind of campaign to highlight the importance of checking over your shoulder on a push bike. I do not see many cyclists do it and it could save lives.

No, what you've done is come here and make a ridiculous generalisation about cyclists which many of us, as people who ride bikes every day, know to be untrue. Your point isn't helped by the fact that going by your original post, your position was terrible (in between two vans) - I'd wager that people are less likely to take advice from someone who could clearly improve their own ability in riding their vehicle.

You're welcome.

Top Bottom