cyclists - the not so good

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F

Fraser1

No, what you've done is come here and make a ridiculous generalisation about cyclists which many of us, as people who ride bikes every day, know to be untrue. Your point isn't helped by the fact that going by your original post, your position was terrible (in between two vans) - I'd wager that people are less likely to take advice from someone who could clearly improve their own ability in riding their vehicle.

You're welcome.
I'm sorry but that's just not true. I commute in London every day and cyclists doing a life saver check are very rare.

I'm not sure what the you're welcome means.

OP
OP
F

Fraser1

To look for any motorcyclists abusing the facility and about to skim me when the lights change?

I see the vast majority of cyclists doing proper checks.

Any chance of answering my question as to why you positioned yourself so badly?

Ok on a motorbike it's really not uncommon to sit between two vehicles at a traffic light. you take off ahead of them as motorbikes are quick off the mark, unless a cyclist parks directly infront of him in an empty cycle box.

As I've said, I could have stayed stationary but then traffic behind may have followed the vans very closely. I took the decision to move ahead and go into an empty cycle box contravening the highway code.

lol ok you got me there!

but pleased I passed on some good info to you on checking over your shoulder when YOU are overtaking, not when cars/ motorbikes are overtaking you. Glad I came on now to help and teach you this, it's very important
No you didn't. I always check all around me all the time.

Now please answer me this. Why do motorcyclists speed knowing full well it increases the chances of their and other road users likelihood of serious injury and death? And how often are you on motorbike forums telling them not to speed when they are far more likely to be killed than a cyclist?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Thanks for pointing out that some cyclists are not sensible. I think that can also be said for the exact same percentage of vehicle owners.

OP
OP
F

Fraser1

No you didn't. I always check all around me all the time.

Now please answer me this. Why do motorcyclists speed knowing full well it increases the chances of their and other road users likelihood of serious injury and death? And how often are you on motorbike forums telling them not to speed when they are far more likely to be killed than a cyclist?

Why would you ckeck around you "all the time"? That's dangerous

"Ps I always shoulder check. As does my wife. And my kids. We do it to watch out for stupid overtakes of cars and motorcyclists who are speeding and can't wait or understand what a cycle box is."

Why would you do this? Do you constantly look behind you whilst cars are passing you by? What a loony tunes sight you, your wife and kids must look - necks like owls ;)

Why would you ckeck around you "all the time"? That's dangerous

"Ps I always shoulder check. As does my wife. And my kids. We do it to watch out for stupid overtakes of cars and motorcyclists who are speeding and can't wait or understand what a cycle box is."

Why would you do this? Do you constantly look behind you whilst cars are passing you by? What a loony tunes sight you, your wife and kids must look - necks like owls ;)
I check behind every 30s or so or if there's a motorbike behind because they can be twunts. And this conversation if proving me correct.

Now again. What about speeding motorbikes? What are you busy saying to them?

OP
OP
F

Fraser1

[QUOTE 5039825, member: 43827"]I am not trying to put words into Markymark's mouth, Lord knows no-one has his innate London bred mastery of eloquence, but any experienced cyclist would know that his reference to over-shoulder-checking would be taken as read to include overtaking and turning.[/QUOTE]

I would say if a cyclist is checking over his/ her shoulder, it means they want to overtake, not that they should be or are going to overtake.

You've brought up another excellent point though

NickNick

I've cycled a lot over last year or so from Marylebone station to Wimbledon and vice versa and have never seen a noticeable number of cyclists not look over their shoulder when over taking/changing lane.

OP
OP
F

Fraser1

Snort, you know that feeling when every post just digs you a deeper hole ??

I do , I'm a bugger for it .
you must be kidding, poor Markymark is having a mare this morning./ First of all he said he does a safety check when a car is going to overtake him and then he says he does safety checks on a 30 second timed basis.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Admitting that you made a mistake in your road positioning so you felt you had to act against the highway code and encroach on the cycle box for your own safety, and then felt a bit aggrieved when a cyclist took exception to this, but you can see why they did and you will try to learn from this incident and not find yourself in such a position in the future...

...would have been fine.

Top Bottom