Cyclists v POBs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I prefer to use the term "pedalestrian". Frequently, I too am a pedalestrian, before the accusations of snobbery start flying!

Rhythm Thief said:
"Leisure cyclist" is anyone who uses a bike purely for pleasure, be they Audaxers, testers, road racers, singletrackers or track racers. Anyone who uses a bike for transport is a true cyclist.

<runs and hides>

I sometimes ride up to the local shop to get milk ... Does that count :sad:

Simon

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I'm just a cyclical monkey!

T x

simonali

Guru
I like the prats on bikes one myself! The no lights, dark clothing brigade is growing I reckon, as I see 5 or 6 in the (dark) mornings in just a few miles on my way to or from work. This includes lads on BMXs delivering papers. If I had a son and he was off out at 6am in the winter to do a paper round I'd be checking his lights/brakes etc were working every night! Imagine losing a child because you didn't buy them some cheap LED flashers before sending them out to earn their pocket money?

The parents of these youngsters are as bad as the 'prats on bikes' themselves.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
simonali said:
I like the prats on bikes one myself! The no lights, dark clothing brigade is growing I reckon, as I see 5 or 6 in the (dark) mornings in just a few miles on my way to or from work. This includes lads on BMXs delivering papers. If I had a son and he was off out at 6am in the winter to do a paper round I'd be checking his lights/brakes etc were working every night! Imagine losing a child because you didn't buy them some cheap LED flashers before sending them out to earn their pocket money?

The parents of these youngsters are as bad as the 'prats on bikes' themselves.

I've often wondered about the newsagents. These kids are employees. If they were injured whilst working and lack of lighting etc was a contributory factor....

Legally, should the newsagents ensure delivery boys not only have lights, but that they're used?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
For me the definition of POB would have nothing to do with clothing, helmets, or bike make, it would be the type of cycle riding.

I wouldn't even say it was all people who jump red ... I followed someone (not on purpose:biggrin: - they were strangly going the same way as me) for 4 miles who did jump some red lights but cautiously, but I kept catching up with him at the lights he did wait at, which was unfortunate as he didn't have mudguards on a wet day!!! (- I hope he got the point that he wasn't gaining anything by jumping the lights).

So for me POB would have to be even worse than that and totally disregard their and others safety, when jumping lights, riding without lights and wearing black at night, cycling on the wrong side of the road, or fast on the pavement. And having the seat really low so that they look comical!!:wacko::biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Snobbery? You bet! If I choose to obey the rules of the road, have respect for other people and good manners, carry lights as required by law and behave in a sensible manner, than I regard myself as better than someone who jumps lights, rides on the pavement when it suits them, weaves about on the road, is unlit at night and scares pedestrians (or startles drivers by shooting up the side of them in queueing traffic). If other people choose not to see it that way, that's up to them...

It's nothing to do with the bike people ride, the clothes they wear, their reasons for cycling, or anything like that, in my case at least. It's a judgement on their behaviour.

As I try never to discriminate on the grounds of gender, sexual orientation, class, colour, nationality or disability etc, I think I might be allowed this little bit of snobbery....:wacko:

Chris James

Über Member
All groups seem to be keen to subdivide themselves into 'us' and 'them' groups.

I sometimes post on UK Climbing and one of their bugbears is when a lowly hillwalker is referred to as 'climbing' eg 'climbing' Snowdon as opposed to walking up it. Funnily enough the British Mountaineering Council want to sound inclusive and tend to refer to adventurous hillwalking as mountaineering. But the word mountaineering also conjures up visions of scaling Himalayan peaks. So you can imagine how well that goes down with people who have aspiriations to be 'proper' mountaineers.

I also sometimes post on Everton fan wesbites and there is a tendency there for people to not view others as 'proper' fans if they don't share your way of watching the game (i.e. do you go to the game, do you have a seaosn ticket, do you have a shirt, do you pay for Everton TV, do you go to away games, do you have a bevvy before the game, do you think SKy has improved or ruined football etc) whereas surely the only criteria for beinga fan is that you want your team to win?

Arch

Married to Night Train
All over the animal kingdom, there are 'in-groups' and 'out-groups' (are you in our pride or herd, or not?) and the human race is no different. I'd find it hard to believe there were many people in the world who didn't divide themselves and their group from all the rest, in some way. And mostly, they'll have a perfectly rational justification (at least, to them)

Top Bottom