Cyclists-who-fail-to-use-dedicated-lanes-could-be-fined ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
If I take the new cycle path, I have to give way, I think, fifteen times.
It does sound like a British "solution" and exists only because British cyclists are such an apathetic lot, can you imagine drivers meekly accepting such nonsense?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
First option sounds plausible, not so sure about the second if it relies on drivers being willing to use their reverse gear. They don't do that even in box junctions ...
The alternative is they pull out without being able to see properly, which is arguably better if they're such a nobber, because they might remove themselves from driving, at least temporarily, although it's a bit harsh on whoever collides with them.

But most reverse, in my experience of one such junction on my commute, which I'm pretty sure is only laid out like that by accident because of a landowner's wall obstructing what they'd usually have done when it was built.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'd like to see a design for a segregated path that stops drivers from blocking it when waiting to join the main road from a side road
Yes I actually had a bloke apologise for blocking the traffic light controlled crossing, by queuing behind the row of 10+ cars, I couldn't think of anything pithy to say to him other than to pass behind him and the disappear into the distance leaving him still there.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It does sound like a British "solution" and exists only because British cyclists are such an apathetic lot, can you imagine drivers meekly accepting such nonsense?
That's a bit unfair. Lots of folk contribute to consultations, or sound off about poor designs. (I've done it myself). Occasionally one gets sent a leaflet, and the path happens anyway, more recently, you get told that the design isn't aimed at experienced, confident[1] cyclists like yourself, so your opinion is of no merit.

Ultimately, British designs come from a different place mentally, one aimed at getting you out of the way, primarily, and being "safe" secondarily, and being convenient thirdly, it seems. They're also conceived in a culture that views the car as a ratonal choice for astonishingly short journeys, and other choices as a bit weird.

[1] I've been riding into Manchester for about 8 years, most days.I feel a lot less confident on the days I get umpteen close passes before getting to work.

snorri

Legendary Member
That's a bit unfair. Lots of folk contribute to consultations, or sound off about poor designs. (I've done it myself). Occasionally one gets sent a leaflet, and the path happens anyway, more recently, you get told that the design isn't aimed at experienced, confident[1] cyclists like yourself, so your opinion is of no merit.
Yes, a lot of people do put in a lot of effort, unfortunately it seems to me that even more people, ie the motoring lobby, are able to influence our political leaders to a greater extent. I don't know what the answer is, apart from just plugging away at it:smile:.

Tin Pot

Guru
There's no point in asking cyclists what they want. They'll just moan. Decide objectively what is best and impose it on them by law. Same with drivers. And bankers. And schools.

SD1

The government told council to make cycle lanes on roads 1.5 metres wide. When segregated, car drivers think this is my lane that is yours and will travel close to the white line. The majority of lanes are only 1 metre wide resulting (I read it somewhere) in an increase in accidents. One day someone will sue the council as well as the driver. Now in busy slow moving traffic that isn't to much of problem (width of lane) but in fast moving traffic you either take the risk of catching the kerb or having the end of your handle bar hit. Either make them 1.5 metres wide or don't have one. Also a cycle lanes on a road which are only there for part of the route are real pain as you have to constantly to keep moving into the road creating even more risk.

SD1

I am not sure it is right/safe for cyclists to share cycle paths with pedestrians. It feels it is a danger to both the cyclist and the pedestrian. I find I cycle much slower specially when the pedestrian has children with them who are not holding hands with a parent. Most pedestrians are not even on their side of the path.

I am not sure it is right/safe for cyclists to share cycle paths with pedestrians. It feels it is a danger to both the cyclist and the pedestrian. I find I cycle much slower specially when the pedestrian has children with them who are not holding hands with a parent. Most pedestrians are not even on their side of the path.

Or on a mobile. People chatting on a mobile often spin on their heel and change direction 180".

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Pedestrians don't have a side, they are free to use the whole width AFAIK.

But in reality you are never sharing the space with everyone traveling at the speed and ability so you need to be aware and prepared to slow down.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I really don't "get" this argument, as a car driver I have to give way to other drivers and cyclists at junctions on every single journey I undertake in my locality. There is never a direct route for me to take between my home and where i want to go. It seems unrealistic to expect to have priority at every junction and also a direct route when I'm on my bike.

yebbutt - as a car driver would you, out of choice, choose a route where you have to give way at every single junction, and give way at every single exit of every single roundabout? Fair enough a "fair share" of giving way, but hey...

Top Bottom