Cyclists-who-fail-to-use-dedicated-lanes-could-be-fined ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Show us where the space is.
Make most central London streets one wsy and use the other lane for cycles.

Most already are one way, and pretty choked as it is.
Really? I've worked and lived in London for most of my life and most roads are two ways. Yes it's busy. But increasing cyvling provisions will reduce car dependency. It takes will and courage as Steve suggested.

dodgy

Imagine if there was a fine for motorists who insist on driving over ploughed fields instead of using the provided roads.

This isn't required, as the driver self selects the most convenient and safest option; no fines needed.

But in the UK, we're going to force people to use the inferior bike lanes, if the bike lanes were any good we wouldn't need to fine cyclists for not using them.
It's kind of an admission of failure by the authorities, they're having to incentivise by way of fining rather than by actually putting in decent infrastructure.

Boris Johnson says ill thought out publicity seeking thing, you say?

Heavens, how unusual.

He didn't, really. Boris is an idiot but he also wants to please, he was being badgered by Mr Skoda so he said what he thinks he wanted to hear. It's pie-in-the-sky, tfl do not have the authority to make any such impositions.

Pete Owens

He didn't, really. Boris is an idiot but he also wants to please, he was being badgered by Mr Skoda so he said what he thinks he wanted to hear.
He could simply have said "No" in that case.
It's pie-in-the-sky, tfl do not have the authority to make any such impositions.
TfL most certainly do have the right to make such impositions - Traffic Regulations Orders (TROs) - are routinely used to prohibit certain vehicles from certain parts of the carriageway (to create bus lanes or cycle lanes for example)
It is also the case that Boris has been pressing for this for a while:
http://www.cyclelicio.us/2015/boris-wants-bikes-off-the-road-tfl-says-not-yet/
"TfL says they have received similar request from the Mayor’s office in the past,"

Reactions: mjr

subaqua

What’s the point
well if the segregationists have had got their way i would have been walking home tonight along CS2 . full of shoot, ( like the LCC) and vehicles with engines.

still its the way forward apparently

guarantee no fuding for enforcing or cleaning.

slow hand clap for the nobbers

PK99

Legendary Member
I'm going to e mail Boris and invite him to Denmark to see what a bike lane looks like. I travel on excellent cycle paths which are segregated from traffic in a lot of places. They are wide and in good nick. I even have to share them with peds and mopeds, but that's ok. Cars who want to cross the cycle lane must give way to me....and do.

But I still feel that even if you got cycle paths like ours there would still be those who would not use them on principle. I think, sod principle, I like our cycle paths.

20141006_151423_zpsc3lrclss.jpg

A24 - Dorking to Leatherhead cycle path

Built as a model example, but CTC stood firmly against such things- on principle!
sam_0027.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A24 - Dorking to Leatherhead cycle path

Built as a model example, but CTC stood firmly against such things- on principle!
sam_0027.jpg

The problem isn't the straight bit, but the junctions and roundabout - which virtually any cyclelane, presumably this one too, makes into an extremely hazardous undertaking.

PK99

Legendary Member
Not sure who I'm responding to but I'm against facilities (almost) on principle as well

Was chatting with Chris Juden (he of CTC fame) the other day on just this issue and the stretch of road/facility i showed.

The reason CTC stood against such facilities for the UK (look at Holland, Denmark and Germany for models of separate facilities) was nothing to do with the issues you have, but that CTC at the time was in thrall to the Time Trial lobby who feared that the growth of such facilities, designed for Utility Cycling, would hinder their Sport Cycling.

We are where we are, and the road systems built over the last 50 years have been built without the sort of cycling friendly infrastructure common elsewhere, partly because of the stance of the cycling lobby of the time.

There is a lesson in there....

Top Bottom