Cyclists with no lights...grrrr

Have you ridden in the dark without lights this week?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I think people just don't realise that they become very hard to see - maybe some people who only started to commute this summer or something similar.I saw someone in a high viz, arms bands, trouser clips etc and thought why kit yourself out with all that and no lights??

Norm

garrilla said:
I was in a car yesterday at 5pm going from Bracknell to Crowthorne.
Blimey, you were in my back yard. :angry:

On that bit of road, Swinley Forest possibly featured in their ride. I've done that place at night even with lights and it's fecking scary.

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
I'm really interested by these responses, but i'd be especially interested to hear more from the "cityfolk". Don't worry i'm not a hick.

GrasB said:
I turned into a bit of a ninja last night, as I riding without a rear light worth a mention for about 1 1/2 miles, but not deliberately. I lost my backup up light.

Thats fair enough. Battery life is hard to predict so youre forgiven.....today.

ttcycle said:
I think people just don't realise that they become very hard to see - maybe some people who only started to commute this summer or something similar.

TT you're ever the diplomat. I only started commuting this year, but that shouldnt excuse amyone. Perhaps i'd forgive Monday, but Tuesday is inexcusable as a cheap set of lights costs peanuts.

I didn't cycle tonight, but will be doing 10 miles on way home tomorrow and testing the water by offering my free "tolleradvice" to anyone who doesn't look like they have an attitude problem. I'll let you all know how it goes.

hackbike 666 said:
Seen a lot of it this week but it's their lookout not mine.

Is it just me that worries they will end up injuring me then?

The poll is currently 59:4. Would be interesting to hear more from the 4 (i'm asssuming you are one of them GrasB). I want a proper workout on the ride home and i'm now seriously reconsidering changing my route to make it slower, but more hilly so i can still get my heart going without having to race. If i'm still frustrated next week, please expect me to post something asking about steepest hills in London :biggrin:

Tollers

darkstar

I rode in the dark for the first time today, we were in a group of 13, one lad didnt have any lights so we just surrounded him! I badly need some new ones though, as my current ones have never been used up to now, they were a gift 2 years ago and are shocking. They weight about a kilogram and are about as powerful as a candle.....

Even a bit of light clothing (reflectives) is better than dressed as a ninja with no lights.

The nearest I had to a collision was with a ninja (last year) who I saw very late.

GrasB

Veteran
Tollers said:
(i'm asssuming you are one of them GrasB)
No didn't vote... ;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I normally ride with either 1 or 2 rear lights, - 1 if is still light-ish, but 2 for darkness, and I also have a Backupz on my helmet. I've only the one front light normally so that would be more of a problem if I lost that whilst out or the batteries died. Most of my cycling is in daylight even in wintertime as I work part time to be able to accompany my youngest child on the school run. Even his bike has lights and that's for cycling at 8.30 am and 3.30 pm - though usually only put on in bad weather.

JiMBR

It was practically daylight when I cycled in this morning, but I still had one front and one back light switched on....just paranoid I guess.

Although I have a fairly short commute, I always see loads of cyclists without lights, hi-viz etc....makes me wince.

thomas

the tank engine
To the people who say they wouldn't loose any sleep if some ninja without light got squished I'd have to say you're probably wrong.

I've seen it moments after on a fast road (60mph). Man lying in gutter of the road, front down. 10 meters or so further up, a car, with a bicycle stuck underneath.

Cyclist had no lights, completely in black. Completely his fault.

It still sent chills down my back and made me think it over when I got to bed.

redjedi

Über Member
Saw something shocking a couple of days ago.

While getting a lift home (still not riding :laugh: ) we were going around the green in Chiswick, lots of traffic and not the widest of road.

It was before the clocks went back so was more dusk than dark, when we saw a cyclist with no lights. No too unusual for London, but he was pulling what looked like a trailer.
I thought he should really have a light on the trailer at least so drivers know to give him more room.
As we got alongside I realised it was a child trailer with a young kid in it ;)

I couldn't believe he didn't have any form of light on it. I would have at least 2 on the trailer itself.

It's one thing putting yourself in danger, but why put a helpless child in harms way.

Top Bottom