Cyclists with no lights...grrrr

Have you ridden in the dark without lights this week?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
CharlieB said:
Probably worth adding to this thread that I've seen a few guilty motorists of late, so it's not just the cyclists…

The ones I love dearly are those with both headlight bulbs blown and they drive around on foglights or full-beam only, because they can't be bothered to go to Halfords and spend £6 on a new pair of headlight bulbs, and then spend 5 minutes fitting them ...

thomas

the tank engine
XmisterIS said:
The ones I love dearly are those with both headlight bulbs blown and they drive around on foglights only, because they can't be bothered to go to Halfords and spend £6 on a new pair of headlight bulbs, and then spend 5 minutes fitting them ...

Those bulbs are a rip off....they cost halfords something like 20-50p each!!!

Saw one of those 'cop shows' a while back. Guy driving at night with basically no lights. Pulled over. Office says he'll just warn him tonight, but he needs to get them fixed.

Okay, any normal human being would of left it there, apologised and said they'd do it. But no. This guy starts arguing how he doesn't have the time, blah blah....and ended up getting points on his licence and a fine and still had to get the bulbs fitted!!

lady_rider

This has been driving (riding?) me NUTS recently! I'm in a university town so I guess the poor skint students can't afford lights... er hem (I'm a student myself, but as a paid PhD student I don't put myself in the 'student' bracket ;-)). I can hardly see them coming and I'm on a flippin' bike, not in a car dazzled by lights already. I've just invested in Hope vision 2 (recommended, highly) and have three back lights at night. A bit of overkill maybe, but it does make cars slow down as they wonder WTF is in front of them flashing out of sync like a manic christmas tree. I know that people without lights are putting themselves in danger and not me, and that it's their call. BUT it does frustrate motorists who then tar all cyclists with the same brush ie all cyclists run red lights, cycle like idiots, don't use lights, deserve to be squashed cos they don't pay tax etc etc...

I came up with a great idea though. The current fine for not having lights is £50. I say up it to £100 and every offender gets a good set of lights (whether they want them or not). Then they can't complain about being too skint to buy any after they've paid the fine...

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
Tollers said:
I'm really interested by these responses, but i'd be especially interested to hear more from the "cityfolk". Don't worry i'm not a hick.

I'm a city folk person (London) and my theory is that because most roads are well-lit enough that you can see where you're going without lights people are oblivious to the fact they can't be seen.

I'm often shocked by how light it seems on the road I commute on even when the sun's well and truly down. I always use my lights and when not in high vis I'm in light-coloured clothing as well but I often see people who wear all-black AND have no lights.

Where I live, and it may not be universally the case, those on the road without lights are often young blokes on BMXs or middle-aged men of Eastern European extraction on fairly old but decent bikes. I presume lights aren't cool enough for the young blokes and I would suspect those of Eastern European extraction don't know it's a legal requirement. One of my dad's employees certainly didn't until I told him.

Cab

I've seen literally hundreds of unlit cyclists in Cambridge recently.

Wasn't in danger of colliding with any of them though.

I can't be the only one who finds complants about seeing unlit cyclists ironic, can I?

Chamfus Flange

Saw one ride last night dark cloths, poorly lit narrow lane and, you guest it, no lights. Got a little upset when I said "Lights would be a good idea"

wafflycat

Cab said:

I can't be the only one who finds complants about seeing unlit cyclists ironic, can I?

Missing the point.

The point is that even in street lighting, it's easier to see a cyclist with lights than it is one without lights. And apart from the fact it's a legal requirement to have working lights on, we each have a certain amount of responsibility to take for our own safety out there. And it's not unreasonable to expect that when cycling at night we do use lights. It's about helping to reasonably minimise risks to yourself and others when cycling. As a cyclist I wouldn't dream of cycling at night without lights and reflectives on. As a driver, being a cyclist does, I hope, give me an insight to how cyclists behave on road, but as a driver it is more difficult to see an unlit cyclist than a lit one. As a pedestrian, it's easier to see a lit cyclist than an unlit one.

Some years ago I was driving up the dual carriageway part of the A11 between Wymondham & Norwich at night. It's lit up - but there he was.. unlit, wearing very dark clothing. Whilst the cyclist was visible in the pools of light cast by the streetlightin, in between those pools of light he was rendered almost invisible. If a driver had of taken him out it would not have been the sole fault of the motorist.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Cab said:

The point about seeing unlit cyclists is that it is usually when you are much closer to them, therefore less reaction time. Isn't that why we are also told not to weave in and out of parked cars etc - be seen so that other road users know you are there.

Cab said:

It's ironic on one level, but there's a big difference between seeing a well lit cyclist in the distance, adjusting your speed, indicating and overtaking when it's safe, and seeing an unlit cyclist at the last second, thinking "shoot!!" and either bringing your 44 tonne tanker to a sudden stop or doing a messy emergency overtake. Cyclists without lights are a danger to themselves and to others and, given the low cost of a half decent set of LEDs these days, there's no excuse for it.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I drove past someone with what looked like a cateye ld130 last night in non-clean light conditions and wearing darkish clothing with no hi-viz and am reminded what divergent opinions people seem to have on bike lights. I thought they stood out very, very clearly. I've been in vehicles with people ranting and raving about much strong lighting set ups. There's no pleasing some motorists and cyclists, some of them would only be happy if we all used dinottes.

Some cyclists get caught out at this time of year. I've had to lend lights out on rides 3 or 4 times for when people's batteries ran out/light flew off and broke once etc. As I sometimes carry four front lights with me they seem to get dished out as backup to other people way before I need them.

Top Bottom