Cyclists with no lights...grrrr

Have you ridden in the dark without lights this week?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK, so suddenly my commute home seems to have become 10 times more dangerous. I'm just upset that the danger is coming from other cyclists!!!!

The last few days i've become very aware of the number of cyclist with no lights who still incist on pulling out of junctions without looking. Now it's harder for me to spot them and more dangerous taking evasive action.

So, am i alone here? Does anyone have a tactic? I'm very tempted to give these people a quick lecture as i overtake them (mostly girls on little cute commuter bikes). I'm simply amazed people are so stupid!

Tollers

A lecture would be well justified!

I can't understand why anyone would willingly endanger themselves, and others, by riding 'invisibly' on the road.

You give 'em some stick, Tollers!

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
Also, the same applies for dim lights. I've thought a few riders had no lights but in reality they were barely visible even in the darkness of hyde park. It makes me pretty anxious that i wont be able to get my heart rate up on my commute home. I think i might have to change my route to include some big hills so i can go at a safer speed, but still get a good workout.

Hopefully, these lightless souls will dissapear when it gets cold and wet next week :biggrin:

garrilla

I was in a car yesterday at 5pm going from Bracknell to Crowthorne. I saw 9 cyclists, only 1 had lights. 7 out of 8 ninjas were riding on the pavements. So was the illuminated cyclist.

I've posted this elsewhere, but the other night I was in my lorry on the Ledbury - Bromyard road (an unlit B road with a national speed limit) at around 9pm. I saw (just) four cyclists with no lights whatsoever, all wearing dark clothing. Now, I'm not saying these idiots deserve to get squashed, but if I ever do flatten one I won't be entirely surprised.

Matty

Aside from being illegal it is complete madness. Saw one yesterday whilst in car. Dark & wet. Chap on road bike, 2 LEDs on back, both off. 1 pathetic front flashing effort plus a spare one - also off.

Maybe he didn't want to be spotted filtering then jumping the lights. Whatever.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I do a great deal of night cycling and very rarely see ninjas. I very commonly see broken lights on other sorts of vehicles other than bicycles. Often I notice local vehicles that will have the same broken lights for weeks or months in a row. All the people I know who drive always test them out every so often and replace rapidly where broken, it isn't something that much of the rest of the population seem to do.

As for those with lights the legal minimum is actually fairly low. The only front lights I don't like are those cheap green ones the police give out with micro LEDs. Other than that I'd say any light is good. Views seem to vary, I've been told before that my cateye 1000s on full charge were dim by some aggressive moron and that the former rechargeable system and hope vision 1x2s I use are too bright.

I come across quite a few with no lights, they are not what I would term cyclists but people who ride bikes. Mostly youngsters, but saw a guy the other night, on the road no lights and two Asda carrier bags (full) at each end of his handlebars. To top it off he was with a young lad (I assume his son) probably around 10, who was also riding with no lights. At least he was on the pavement.

Crankarm

Guru
I was buzzed by a fat bloke on a knackered MTB in black in a pedestrian area this afternoon. I pointed out to him it was a no cycling area. He gave me the finger so I called him a menace as he weaved around people at quite a speed. I was dressed in yellow hi-viz, helmet, cycling leggins with lots of reflectives and carrying my red Vaude panniers. I wouldn't lose any sleep what so ever if people like this who cycle in the dark with no lights wearing dark clothing, get squashed. I've had several nearly run into me so far this week when I am cycling. Generally I shout at them "If you want to live to see Christmas get some lights!" or plain and simple "Bloody idiot........get some lights :angry:!" Many are young so candidates for Darwin Awards.

GrasB

Veteran
I turned into a bit of a ninja last night, as I riding without a rear light worth a mention for about 1 1/2 miles, but not deliberately. I lost my backup up light going down Maddingley road that morning & my main rear lights batteries died, fine had some cheapy spares in my back pocket... but they didn't physically fit in the light :biggrin: :angry: First shop I came to a pack of Duracells was purchased & legal light service was resumed.

Weird,I have 4 sets of lights on my bag and also a fantom XR9 and the german standlight...so all of them failing would be something.

Plus I carry spare batteries.

Two on the front and spares in my bag.

GrasB

Veteran
hackbike 666 said:
Weird,I have 4 sets of lights on my bag and also a fantom XR9 and the german standlight...so all of them failing would be something.

Plus I carry spare batteries.

Two on the front and spares in my bag.
I carry enough batteries for a mid-rde change for all my lights... fat lot of good that does when the little b*****s won't physically fit in the light. I need to get some spare time in the workshop to make up a bracket for a Mars 4.0 that fit on my bikes (the supplied bracket doesn't fit on any of my bikes & leave it unobscured). Seems N+1 doesn't just apply to the number of bikes you have.

Top Bottom