Cyclocross 2011 thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
may i ask what hillingdon is like as a course, i will racing on the 11th but singlespeed, so im thinking 42t-20t to account for the mud that should be there. are there many hills to contend with?
thanks

When I raced there earlier in the season, it was bone dry, but it can get quite muddy apparently. It is pretty flat, they tend to make the most of the slight incline there is by switching the course back and forth across it, but it is definitely not what anyone would refer to as hilly.

Having said that, I probably spent less than 10% of the race in the large chainring. Can't really help with the ratios, as I have never tried singlespeed cross, and cannot even begin to imagine trying to ride a whole course on just one ratio :ohmy:

Hillingdon does have a reputation for killing rear mechs on account of the tough and long grass there, so you'll be one up on the rest of us on that score.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Generally always a few short, sharp climbs. Try them out during the warm-up to see if you can ride them in your gear (often they'll link two or three together so there isn't always room to get up a good speed to attack the slope second time around). Decide whether to ride or run them.

I've seen a few riders ride singlespeed at Hillingdon, it is generally flat but if muddy even a slight incline can be difficult to ride.

The grass is tough! I pretty much always have transmission issues towards the end of a race at Hillingdon and I've seen a few ripped-off mechs.

Top Bottom