Cyclocross 2011 thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I was lead to believe CX was going to be all rainy, muddy, embrocation lathered battle with the elements.

It will be.

Races in September, October are often pretty firm going. It generally changes in November, but the weather has been pretty good this year.

It's coming.

I normally enter the Hillingdon races, not far from me, the course tends to vary a fair bit but there's plenty variety (that grass is tough going though, Hillingdon grass is the worst).

My best ever result was at Hillingdon- I came ninth. It was the shittiest January day going, persistent rain all day and cold with it. Eighteen, maybe nineteen, starters.

Proper mud though; liquid mud, the stuff that makes you look like you've been standing behind a muck-spreader. Better than thick, chewy, leafy mud any day.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
:thumbsup: Enjoy.

Which league are you in?

The London League is in Brighton this Sunday, and somehow, I still don't think we'll have any significant mud.

Can't wait!

Did you go to Stanmer Park today...??
The happy smiley marshall in the far corner of the woods..... That was me
thumbsup.png
My hands ache from clapping so much!!
Took plenty of pics too, let me know what bike/kit you were wearing I may have one of you!!

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Did you go to Stanmer Park today...??
The happy smiley marshall in the far corner of the woods..... That was me
thumbsup.png
My hands ache from clapping so much!!
Took plenty of pics too, let me know what bike/kit you were wearing I may have one of you!!

I remember you :hello:

I was in Bianchi celeste top, white Cube bike, and said (I think) to you, ''He's good, isn't he'' as I got lapped by Matthew Webber, coming up that last steep bit. He flew round yesterday, won by nearly half a lap!

I had a mental crash on penultimate lap, hit a tree pretty much head on, on final corner of the final descent, just before getting back on the football fields . Got back on the bike and finished, but did lose a few places. Pretty lucky not to have broken anything :rolleyes: Finished in 45th, and 18th vet.

Well done for all your cheering, you were definitely the best :thumbsup:

Edited to add: Did your lad race in the U10s?

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
It will be.

Races in September, October are often pretty firm going. It generally changes in November, but the weather has been pretty good this year.

It's coming.

I normally enter the Hillingdon races, not far from me, the course tends to vary a fair bit but there's plenty variety (that grass is tough going though, Hillingdon grass is the worst).

My best ever result was at Hillingdon- I came ninth. It was the shittiest January day going, persistent rain all day and cold with it. Eighteen, maybe nineteen, starters.

Proper mud though; liquid mud, the stuff that makes you look like you've been standing behind a muck-spreader. Better than thick, chewy, leafy mud any day.

This year Hillingdon race was on solid hard ground, not even a hint of softness. The field was a barely believable 184, the largest of the season by some margin.

Yesterday at Stanmer Park at least the ground was soft. So the mud is coming, but not yet here. Can't wait :biggrin:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
184! that's huge. No doubt the course was a couple hundred metres of tarmac, then straight onto a bit of singletrack.

Queues like a snowbound airport.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I remember you :hello:

I was in Bianchi celeste top, white Cube bike, and said (I think) to you, ''He's good, isn't he'' as I got lapped by Matthew Webber, coming up that last steep bit. He flew round yesterday, won by nearly half a lap!

I had a mental crash on penultimate lap, hit a tree pretty much head on, on final corner of the final descent, just before getting back on the football fields . Got back on the bike and finished, but did lose a few places. Pretty lucky not to have broken anything :rolleyes: Finished in 45th, and 18th vet.

Well done for all your cheering, you were definitely the best :thumbsup:

Edited to add: Did your lad race in the U10s?

And I remember you now!! You flew up that hill at a fair pace too
bravo.gif
Bugger about the crash, and glad you not injured badly xx

Yes Fynn was in the U10's... bless him he looked teeny compared to some of the big kids... But then he is only 7 LOL! And of course all the best riders had proper CycloX bikes, which just added to his "I need an Islabike" plea... (It's on it's way Shhhhhhhhhhhh
thumbsup.png
)

I've got a pretty good photo of you, but not been able to upload any pics yet, as #1 son has 'borrowed' my usb lead & it is lost somewhere in the pit he calls a bedroom - I only enter wearing a HazMat suit & breathing gear, will get them done asap x

2old2care

Über Member
I did my first ever cx race, well any race this summer, fell off dislocated my thumb tore the ligament off, and I'm still having physio on it. Worst of all, even though I only made half distance I was classified last. :blush:

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
I did my first ever cx race, well any race this summer, fell off dislocated my thumb tore the ligament off, and I'm still having physio on it. Worst of all, even though I only made half distance I was classified last. :blush:

Cyclocross is cruel like that.

Gonna give it another try?

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
And I remember you now!! You flew up that hill at a fair pace too
bravo.gif
Bugger about the crash, and glad you not injured badly xx

Yes Fynn was in the U10's... bless him he looked teeny compared to some of the big kids... But then he is only 7 LOL! And of course all the best riders had proper CycloX bikes, which just added to his "I need an Islabike" plea... (It's on it's way Shhhhhhhhhhhh
thumbsup.png
)

I've got a pretty good photo of you, but not been able to upload any pics yet, as #1 son has 'borrowed' my usb lead & it is lost somewhere in the pit he calls a bedroom - I only enter wearing a HazMat suit & breathing gear, will get them done asap x

Whoop whoop for Fynn! The way to look at it is he's got another 3 years riding in this age group, he'll be winning by 9. Good to see his enthusiasm - my lad sadly prefers football :sad:

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Thanks for the pic! :thumbsup:

Somewhat unfairly that looks like I am dying a slow death trying to get up a... a flat path :ohmy:

:biggrin:

The great thing about the Luath, is that should he get bored of cycling, you'll always get most of your money back on it. And of course he's that much less likely to get bored riding a proper quality bike.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Thanks for the pic! :thumbsup:

Somewhat unfairly that looks like I am dying a slow death trying to get up a... a flat path :ohmy:

:biggrin:

The great thing about the Luath, is that should he get bored of cycling, you'll always get most of your money back on it. And of course he's that much less likely to get bored riding a proper quality bike.

I can testify that it was NO WAY a flat path, it was pretty damn steep - staright of a narrow tight bend, with another even tighter bend halfway before levelling out...slightly!!

And as for the 2nd hand prices I know - Mental!!!! Been watching them on Ebay & TBH - I reckon those buyers sre bloomin nuts!! One went the other day for £345..? Serioulsy?? I can't understand why you would buy a 2nd hand bike, with all the possible issues it may have, when for another £50, you can buy it brand new & with their guarantee on it..?
Mind you, i'll be happy when i do sell Fynn on & it gets that kind of money
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
I can testify that it was NO WAY a flat path, it was pretty damn steep - staright of a narrow tight bend, with another even tighter bend halfway before levelling out...slightly!!

And as for the 2nd hand prices I know - Mental!!!! Been watching them on Ebay & TBH - I reckon those buyers sre bloomin nuts!! One went the other day for £345..? Serioulsy?? I can't understand why you would buy a 2nd hand bike, with all the possible issues it may have, when for another £50, you can buy it brand new & with their guarantee on it..?
Mind you, i'll be happy when i do sell Fynn on & it gets that kind of money
biggrin.gif

Must be irrational cyclocrossers buying them for their offspring. I have noticed that cyclocross gear fetches 'nearly' new prices on ebay. I have just bought a set of tubular wheels new for that very reason. Or maybe it's a seasonal thing, and it will become more resonable once the season is over?

Top Bottom