Cyclocross 2011 thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
I am 95% doing Herne Hill on the 2nd. Got something else (can't remember what but GF will remind me :rolleyes: ) on the 1st.

Hmmm. Milton Keynes, 1st October. I like the course over there, It's normally later in the season and a bit on the slippy side (slippy but not that gloopy late November mud). It will be quite different if it's a bit firmer.

Christopher

Über Member
North-Western 'crossers might want to know that this Sunday's (11th) opening race at Horwich has been postponed until the 18th December. Don't know why but I expect the course is so wet it's unrideable - even for CX?

thehairycycler

I'm looking to get a Cross bike for the wetter months, I've been looking at the Giant TCX but not decided on what one options are the 3 the 2, the 2 double and the 2 triple, going to my LBS on friday any advice would be welcome as the componet bit confuddles me something awful i'm just getting to grips with cycling and looking after my own bike

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
North-Western 'crossers might want to know that this Sunday's (11th) opening race at Horwich has been postponed until the 18th December. Don't know why but I expect the course is so wet it's unrideable - even for CX?

I believe the park has been double booked..... Shame really 'cos leverhulme's best when it's dryer. I'm looking at clayton vale as my first, get back in shape in time after my hols.

montage

God Almighty
I wish I hadn't been treating the last 4 weeks as a rest from the bike.....it turns out the university I am studying at is going to pay for all cyclocross entries, and possibly fly "the team" to other universities in different states to compete. A strong performance would also put me in good position to represent the university in the usa college nationals during the road season as a team will need to be picked....so one way or another, it's going to be a fun cross season!

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
I wish I hadn't been treating the last 4 weeks as a rest from the bike.....it turns out the university I am studying at is going to pay for all cyclocross entries, and possibly fly "the team" to other universities in different states to compete. A strong performance would also put me in good position to represent the university in the usa college nationals during the road season as a team will need to be picked....so one way or another, it's going to be a fun cross season!

Wicked! What a great opportunity. Get out there and train! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
I'm looking to get a Cross bike for the wetter months, I've been looking at the Giant TCX but not decided on what one options are the 3 the 2, the 2 double and the 2 triple, going to my LBS on friday any advice would be welcome as the componet bit confuddles me something awful i'm just getting to grips with cycling and looking after my own bike

Are you looking for a bike to race, or just a winter commuter? What's your budget? Will you want panniers and mudguards?

Those are your first questions. Then start looking at various models that fit your bill. It's sales time right now, so don't get attached to one brand, shop around.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Right, my season officially began with Round 3 of London League yesterday. Dry, sunny and very fast course on grass meant a large turn out, and unfortunately for me, a very strong Veteran field. Results not been posted yet, so not sure where I finished, but my pre-race goal of not being last was met :rolleyes:

My eight year old raced in the U10 race, and came 13th, and could have been 11th if his chain had not come off. Very proud dad!

Lerxt

I did my first cx race at the weekend and loved it.

Great fun and a real adrenaline hit on some of the downhill sections.

I'm seriously thinking of swapping my commuter for a 'proper' cross bike.

I would definitely recommend it.

L.

Jezston

Über Member
Just a slightly OT question here, but if discs are now cyclocross legal, why is it most 2012 cx bikes still have cantis?

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Right, my season officially began with Round 3 of London League yesterday. Dry, sunny and very fast course on grass :rolleyes:

My eight year old raced in the U10 race, and came 13th, and could have been 11th if his chain had not come off. Very proud dad!

My son (7) was in that one too, no idea where he came though!

Will1985

Über Member
I would imagine it is to do with availability of components. I'm no expert on MTB related componentry, but 130 spacing disc hubs can't be too common and I think I'm right in saying that hydraulic disc brakes are better than cables....I have seen a couple of solutions for STI to hydraulic conversion, but nothing marketable yet. Presumably the ultimate solution would be hydraulic specific STIs

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
I would imagine it is to do with availability of components. I'm no expert on MTB related componentry, but 130 spacing disc hubs can't be too common and I think I'm right in saying that hydraulic disc brakes are better than cables....I have seen a couple of solutions for STI to hydraulic conversion, but nothing marketable yet. Presumably the ultimate solution would be hydraulic specific STIs

I think that's part of the answer. The other is weight. TBH cantis are 'good enough' for cross, so the trade-off on weight isn't going to be an easy sell to people who obsess over each and every gram.

As it stands, I didn't see more than about 4 or 5 disc equipped bikes at the Brighton event, even thought that's not subject to UCI and anyone could have been running discs for years. MTBs also allowed.

I think discs will come, but it won't be a complete displacement of canti's like it was in MTB.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
I did my first cx race at the weekend and loved it.

Great fun and a real adrenaline hit on some of the downhill sections.

I'm seriously thinking of swapping my commuter for a 'proper' cross bike.

I would definitely recommend it.

L.

Yep. It is awesome fun. The combination of total body pump, and the technical demands of controlling your bike in the technical parts of the course, combined with elbow to elbow racing. There's nothing else quite like it! Add the friendliness of the scene, and it's no wonder CX popularity is on the up and up.

London League results are up...

I came 42nd out of 99 finishers, and 14th out of 46 Vets.

Top Bottom