Cyclocross bike for Sunday morning family jaunt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Clearly you want an excuse to buy a CX bike. But if all you're doing is pottering up and down paths quite slowly I'd be inclined to look for a cheap, old second-hand hardtail mountain bike. The local bike shops here quite often have things for well under £100 - they're not fashionable, but are quite comfortable.

I bought a mountain bike from a colleague for £50 which he'd used for four or five years of year-round commuting. Quickly I realised I didn't actually want a proper offroad bike, so gradually I've replaced the wheels and gearing and added a rack and lighting. Now it's a perfectly serviceable year-round commuter, shopper, and gravel path potterer. I'd be more than happy to do a 40-mile ride on it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm being drawn to the CX (gravel type) have seen a Giant Revolt and a Cannondale CAADX Sora in my local cycle surgery. Of course the Board man is an option.

Not sure if its just me being tight vickster but people seem to want almost as much second hand as new (some are asking more than sale price bikes). I guess its good bike hold their value unless of course you trying to buy one.
Just because people ask for x amount doesn't mean they get it

If you like the two locally, go try them out

doughnut

Veteran
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm being drawn to the CX (gravel type) have seen a Giant Revolt and a Cannondale CAADX Sora in my local cycle surgery. Of course the Board man is an option.

Not sure if its just me being tight vickster but people seem to want almost as much second hand as new (some are asking more than sale price bikes). I guess its good bike hold their value unless of course you trying to buy one.
I've got a Giant Revolt 3 (2015 gravel model I think). Superb for tracks, canal paths and road. Brake levers on the drops and on the flat part of the handlebars so I can sit up all the time if I want to. Excellent bike.

I want to go back to drop bars after years of flats in a hybrid.
Not sure how the change will be so I'm not wanting to spend a lot.
Seen Halfords doing a cross for under £400 , voodoo something or other.
Looks ok. Anything else I've seen is at least double or heading to £1k.
Much more than I want to spend on a whim.
Ive got 2 voodoo bikes. Fat bike and a 29er. No probs with either and great value too

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Love my CAADX. With road tyres on it is quick on the road with cx tyres on it is capable off road. It has bottle bosses on it and rack and mudguard mounts. It was the last year of cantilever brakes. Fits perfectly between my FS mtb and my carbon race bike. Perfect for riding on trails with kids, racing cx, winter commuting or just being a hooligan on the local bridleways.

rockpig

Über Member
My Boardman team works well for the use described, fitted with full mudguards and a rack. Has 32mm slicks as used on roads/paths. If mud riding, can also take Knobblies

I prefer the drops to the flat bars they replaced On a Whyte R7 (due to shoulder issues). Test ride all the options and decide

It's called a CX but in reality it's a gravel / adventure bike now (ah marketing men and their names to sell the same thing under a different guise ;) )
Hi Vickster - How have you attached the front mudguard to the forks? I have the same bike and am wondering how to attach a front mudguard.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi Vickster - How have you attached the front mudguard to the forks? I have the same bike and am wondering how to attach a front mudguard.
Erm it's attached to the lugs on the fork. Halfords did it, fiver very well spent! They are the SKS 45mm commuters (£20 from Halfords, price match against Tredz)

vickster

Legendary Member
It came with lugs on the fork? That would make it a lot simpler! My forks don't have a lug :-(
Really?? In the middle of the fork. Do you have a photo?

Take the bike to Halfords. Get them to figure it out

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

So in the end I took all advice and decided on a Giant Roam and a different bike shop. The one down the road from work (company to remain nameless) from the moment I entered just didn't seem interested despite me buying two bikes. The "Bicycle chain" shop down the road from home couldn't have been more helpful with test rides the works.

Taking all the advice on I have decided to look at a CX frame to build a winter bike/ turbo trainer bike (I have another post for this), possibly upgrading wheels and group set on my road stead and using the bits from that.

Really?? In the middle of the fork. Do you have a photo?

Take the bike to Halfords. Get them to figure it out

Could this be the variations in the two specks? One has Carbon forks? (I only know this because I checked them out today)

vickster

Legendary Member
So in the end I took all advice and decided on a Giant Roam and a different bike shop. The one down the road from work (company to remain nameless) from the moment I entered just didn't seem interested despite me buying two bikes. The "Bicycle chain" shop down the road from home couldn't have been more helpful with test rides the works.

Taking all the advice on I have decided to look at a CX frame to build a winter bike/ turbo trainer bike (I have another post for this), possibly upgrading wheels and group set on my road stead and using the bits from that.

Could this be the variations in the two specks? One has Carbon forks? (I only know this because I checked them out today)
Mine has carbon forks

Top Bottom