Cyclocross Boradman CX Team or Medira Cyclocross 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
Looking to try cyclocross this winter but on a limited budget

Ive seen 2 bikes that I like and in my size but undecided which to get

Boardman CX team (2014) NEW £470
Medira Cyclocross 4 (2014) 2nd hand £450

Is it crazy to consider the merida at the same price of the new boardman ?

The only thing that puts me off the boardman is the BB30.

vickster

Legendary Member
@outlash commented that the 2014 CX team gearing isn't optimal for actual CX (as not a triple I think)

I'm happy with my Boardman and £470 is a v good price for it (I'm a SRAM girl too which makes it even better, not that I'll be CXing)

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Yeh my other bike is a SRAM and the medira (also a double) is Shimano 105

Decisions decisions

Plus I'd get the £100 of accessories included with the Boardman... It's just that bloomin BB30 that annoys me

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeh my other bike is a SRAM and the medira (also a double) is Shimano 105

Decisions decisions

Plus I'd get the £100 of accessories included with the Boardman... It's just that bloomin BB30 that annoys me
I've done 100 miles now on mine, all seems fine (except the brakes now work better...and squeak, need to take it back for its check up)

TBH I have no idea about bottom brackets, so it's not something I'd consider. When I had the Genesis built, I did buy a rather costly Hope one in gunmetal to match the rest of the colour scheme :shy:

Has the price come down to £470 now? As you won't get the BC discount AND accessories unfortunately (I see it's £520)

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Yeh I remember the BB5s were a pain

I used to have a 2012 cx Team and loved it but ended up changing them to BB7s

I only sold it as I wanted a dedicated road bike. Circumstances have now changed and I can have both. But this time I'm looking to actually get into cyclocross

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Pah - well if they don't then I will be walking away..

They've got to get back to me regarding the stock anyway so I'll see what happens

vickster

Legendary Member
Pah - well if they don't then I will be walking away..

They've got to get back to me regarding the stock anyway so I'll see what happens
Ah good luck finding one!

Would you really walk away at £420 (if you take accessories)?!

outlash

also available in orange
@outlash commented that the 2014 CX team gearing isn't optimal for actual CX (as not a triple I think)

The problem with the Boardman crossers is that they run compact chainrings (50/34) instead of cross chainrings (46/36). Not so bad if you're racing in the dry or just using the bike for general use. But you'll be cursing if you're trying to drag you and the bike through the mud. You could buy a 46t ring for the outer and leave the 34 inner (I have a mate who races with that setup) and you should be fine.

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Yeh I think I'm leaning towards the medira which has a 46 / 36

I've had a Boardman cx team (2012 version) so need something different this time I think. Going to look at it tomorrow

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
What's wrong with BB30? My CX Team 2014 has 4000 miles ' on the clock' and all I've done is re-grease the bearings at about 2000 miles or so..

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
What's wrong with BB30? My CX Team 2014 has 4000 miles ' on the clock' and all I've done is re-grease the bearings at about 2000 miles or so..

Had quite a bit of trouble with them in the past. It wouldn't put me off having a bike with one if I really needed too but by choice if steer clear

Top Bottom