Cyclocross - Claud Butler?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pish

Husband has covered 2000 miles in his first year of biking on his Dawes Galaxy. He is now thinking about a cyclocross. Initially he was looking at the Boardman cx comp but also saw a Claud Butler Alto CX9 at the local bike shop.

It seems a big red flag to me that nobody on the forums appears to ride one! Can I have any views on the Claud Butler please?

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it for actual cyclocross or commuting?

Review here. http://road.cc/content/review/142195-claud-butler-alto-cx9-cyclocross-bike

Good feedback, he should test ride

OP
OP
P

Pish

Not for commuting. It is part road, part gravel paths along the sea front. Agreed that the review is good. Just very puzzled why nobody seems to ride one :unsure:

LocalLad

My last "pre-car" bike was a Claude Butler. Bloody loved that bike!

It was 16 years ago, so not that useful as a review...

vickster

Legendary Member
Not for commuting. It is part road, part gravel paths along the sea front. Agreed that the review is good. Just very puzzled why nobody seems to ride one :unsure:
Cos they don't sell in so many places and CB don't seem much for marketing. Doesn't mean it's a bad bike

The CB looks good, comes from an LBS presumably of repute. The Boardmans seem to have rubbish bottom brackets

Jamieyorky

Veteran
Bloke up the road has one, I serviced it for him last week, it's ok but Its very heavy, not as good as the Boardman cx.

pclay

Veteran
I think that Claud Butler has a similar reputation as Alba in the electronics world. Why buy an Alba stereo, when you can get a Sony?

outlash

also available in orange
As others have said, Claud Butler isn't the same as it was years ago. For roughly the same money you could get a Cannondale CAADX which would be a better bet than both: https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-caadx-sora-disc-2016-cyclocross-bike-EV214058 . But if you're choosing between the two, I'd plump for the Boardman

outlash

also available in orange
Well, it's Sora, not heavy (sub 10Kg) and if you can find hydro discs for less than £500 on a raceable bike, then I'd love to see it. Got a link for the £480 one?

outlash

also available in orange
Ah, I think we have our wires crossed. I thought you talking about the CAADX I linked to, you're talking about the Claud Butler. My apologies.

vickster

Legendary Member
Indeed sorry managed to delete my post. Yes the thread is about the CB??

Paul's have a 2013 CAADX for £500. Sora but no discs

Top Bottom