Cyclocross - Claud Butler?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
If going for the Boardman don't forget British cycling. 10% off, a years ride membership is about £35

outlash

also available in orange
Indeed sorry managed to delete my post. Yes the thread is about the CB??

Paul's have a 2013 CAADX for £500. Sora but no discs

That's the bike I have. Good bike, but those brakes aren't great. I'm in the process of getting something with discs, probably another CAADX.

John342

Got the boardman cx comp myself, first time on a road bike style set up. Very impressed. Although I would recommend taking a multi tool upon collection if purchased from halfords. Found out after, mine had numerous loose nuts/bolts.
Got it for £450 with £100 free kit included as it was ex display and only one left in size large.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As others have said, Claud Butler isn't the same as it was years ago.

Quite so, at one time a Claud Butler bike came with a signed certificate from the welder/assembler.

It's one of those brands, like Muddy Fox, which was taken over and sent down market.

Nothing wrong with one if you want a cheap bike, but for £500+ there's better value elsewhere.

Mate of mine is pleased with his Boardman CX, or he is since Halfords replaced the bottom bracket which conked out after 70 miles.

Venod

Eh up
Just echoing most peoples opinion, between the 2 the Boardman would be my choice,

I can recommend the Cannondale CAADX but I wouldn't go below Tiagra, but thats a personal choice.

£799.99 seems to be the going price for CAADX Tiagra , but may be found cheaper.

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-caadx-tiagra-disc-2016-cyclocross-bike-EV239423

Last edited:
That CB is not pretty is it?! Can't see how it's very good value with those components either.

I'm more than happy with my 2015 Boardman CX Team at sub-£600, although it's taken a new BB, new second-hand wheelset and quite a bit of initial fiddling with set-up to get me to this point. The liquid silver paint job looks great, and it's pretty light and nippy with a change of wheels.

If buying a CX again with a circa £600 budget my first choice would be a Genesis CdF (though might have to be second-hand at that price) and second choice probably a 2015 Cannondale CAADX in the sales.

The CB would be well, well down my list I'm afraid.

Top Bottom