CycloCross or Hybrid for Commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

The time is soon coming round for me to consider a new steed for commuting to work. I have a MTB at the moment and have been very happy with it. However, I am aware that I could be commuting somewhat faster and probably more comfortably on a purpose built bike; being able to lean over drops like I used to on my first bike years back.

My route to work is mainly road but also involves dirt track with potholes and mud in the wet. I also like the nippy manoeverability of my current MTB when the need arises.

My heart says Cyclo Cross, but my head is saying possibly Hybrid. Hybrid sounds boring though; surely its what suited Metropolitan types ride around London init?

I like the idea of a road bike for higher end gears but with the ability to ride the odd stretch of muck. would probably want to swap the cassette out for something of a higher gear ratio than for a true cyclo cross. I do use the lower gears for hills and stop-start traffic and filtering.

Any thoughts?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
personally, if you have an MTB now, I would get something at the "other end of the scale" and go for a road bike.

it would be a shame to have two "similar" bikes, it would offer no variety.

(I have considered the same thing myself...shhh dont tell the current bike)

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

My only concern there being the bit of dirt track I really enjoy doing but don't think a road bike would cope with. I have a vision of buckled wheels before too long, whereas I am thinking a Cyclo Cross would be that bit more robust - maybe?

Norm

Zippy said:
Any thoughts?
Yes, loads and loads of them. xx( For instance:

https://www.cyclechat.net/

Apologies in advance to those who have read my thoughts on a psyclo-x bike in the past, but here's something which I've previously written on it...
Norm said:
Have a search around for my previous posts on the subject - especially, have a read of this thread. I had similar thoughts to you and went with the Tricross Sport.

My Tricross mostly gets used for road work but it's also been thrown up stony tracks and used for the very muddy riverside path a couple of times. Very good bike for the road and the beaten track, IMO, which doesn't feel fragile when throwing it at the scarred tarmac.

The stuff I wrote here might be of interest, and this post has links to some of the videos I took and here for some photos showing the results of "throw it at the countryside and see if it works" style of off-roading. :biggrin:
And, if you are really bored (after reading all that, who wouldn't be!), then I stuck this video on YouTube. It's nothing special, a 25 minute ride on the Tricross back from visiting a friend, but the roads and tracks that I ride show the sort of thing that a cyclo-x bike will handle. Starts off on a farm track, then a bit of village road, then a 60 limit across a couple of cattle grids, a short run across a field or two then a bit of riverside riding. In fact, if you start watching about 5 minutes in, that's the bit which most clearly, IMO, shows the sort of thing that I'd do on a Tricross that I would never go near on the Secteur. Check out the way I leave the bridge about 6' 10" into the video and imagine a big chap doing that sort of speed on a footpath with a road bike. :biggrin:

brickisred

I went from mtb to cyclocross earlier this year (as Norms post) and absolutely love it!
Got used to the different riding style quickly and has made commuting even more enjoyable. It's great in all conditions as well

Also has got me out on the back lanes of the Vale on Glamorgan on the weekends (uh oh road bike next!)

MacLean

Yep cyclocross bikes are great!

I can keep up with my mate on a racer on the road, can handle off road, and im using my Tricross as a LEJOG tourer aswell.

Great do anything bike.

IMO ;)

Jezston

Über Member
I got a hybrid, because I didn't know better.

If I'd known what I know now, I definitely would have got a cyclocross bike. The disc brakes make me crave the Genesis Croix de Fer - shame you don't get more cross bikes with disc brakes, the reason apparently being that such brakes are illegal for competition so despite how great they are there aren't many made!

gps315

Über Member
I was in the same boat, using a MTB with slicks to commute but wanted to go faster with road gears, used my road bike a few times but just not comfortable on the canal paths and mix of roads and rough

Ended up buying a Scott P4 which looks very MTB with flat bars but with road gearing

Now i love my commute of 15miles a day so much did a 50mile trip on it at the weekend....and have the tanned arms to prove it....that and a big smile on my face.....

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Zippy said:
My only concern there being the bit of dirt track I really enjoy doing but don't think a road bike would cope with. I have a vision of buckled wheels before too long, whereas I am thinking a Cyclo Cross would be that bit more robust - maybe?

cycle cross just feels a bit to similar to MTB for me and I'm sure the chunkier boots will be slower on the tarmac than a road bike.(i'm not a big road bike fan myself, but it feels more "different"... and I'm coming around to the idea myself)

could you make a detour around the off road bits...now that would provide a really varied ride...off road one day, road the next with a fine tuned race vehicle for each ride, you'll be like bruce wayne each morning standing in the batcave thinking..."hmmm, off road Mountin-Bat or BAT-Bianchi"

"to the Bat-cave!!!";)

c2c

redredrobin
i too was in the same position as you commuting at first with a trek full susser, then a bianchi road bike, and now a bianchi camaleonte 5 hybrid. the hybrid, for me anyway, is far and away the best tool for commuting. very pleased with it. fast and light, mudguard eyelets, rack mount bosses, and a triple chainset. :laugh:

J4CKO

I have a Hybrid and a Spec Allez, the Allez will do pretty much everything the Hybrid will, it is plenty tough enough for bridal paths and unmade roads, taken sensibly.

Mike!

Guru
I've just replaced my old MTB (that i had fitted with City Jets for more speed) with a crosser and don't regret it one bit.

Faster due to the gearing and i find it more comfortable, i don't think you'd regret buying one!

Only thing i have changed (as with the old MTB) is the tyres from knobbly ones to something a bit more suitable for my commute which is 85% roads and 15% heathland - stoney and solid sand paths). Brought some Schwalbe Marathon Plus....

Top Bottom