CycloCross or Hybrid for Commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Yeah Mike! - I think that's the way I'm going. Crossers are just too sexy whereas road types are a bit too like my old dad's bike for me (sorry roadies!).

Jonny Jeez - but I LIKE my off road bits!

If I were to go down the two-bike route I would keep the MTB and have a road bike having slagged them off in my first paragraph, but then it might take longer to decide which bike/route to take to work than to actually commute there!

That's why I am more over to having a Cross so's I can go anywhere (reasonably) to work. I am the kind of person to take a sudden detour on my way and go for some rough!

Norm

Zippy said:
I am the kind of person to take a sudden detour on my way and go for some rough!
+1.

I love having a bike just for road riding, the Secteur is beautiful to ride on tarmac.

And I love having a bike just for off road riding, even if others don't like front suspension and tractor tyres, a hard-tail MTB can give a buzz in places that would even drain the blood from the face of a cyclo-cross bike.

But the bike I love most is the one which will do either or both, the one that I take when I just want to go for a ride and I'm not sure where I'm going or what route I'll use to get there.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Mike! said:
I've just replaced my old MTB (that i had fitted with City Jets for more speed) with a crosser and don't regret it one bit.

Only thing i have changed (as with the old MTB) is the tyres from knobbly ones to something a bit more suitable for my commute which is 85% roads and 15% heathland - stoney and solid sand paths). Brought some Schwalbe Marathon Plus....

so, you converted it to a roady then?!!:biggrin:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Zippy said:
Yeah Mike! - I think that's the way I'm going. Crossers are just too sexy whereas road types are a bit too like my old dad's bike for me (sorry roadies!).

Jonny Jeez - but I LIKE my off road bits!

!

then it sounds like a psycho is the job for you.

(although.... you also sound like you may be on teetering on the brink of dropping head first into the roady camp!)

ooooo the tension:biggrin:

Top Bottom