Cyclocross purchase, need advice!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sazzaa

Have just started cycling to work a few months ago on a mountain bike and want to buy something a bit more suitable for commuting and maybe some longer road/light trail type trips, so looking at cyclocross bikes. Have managed to narrow it down to a couple of choices, but not really knowing much about bikes is making it difficult - any help or advice would be appreciated... Choices at the moment are Boardman Team CX (looks like I have to wait for 2014 range to drop) or a Genesis Vapour Disc. Is one better than the other? I'm open to other suggestions but it has to have disc brakes. Cheers and HELLO!

It all depends on what you like, do a search for reviews on the components and go and try them out. Some shops will either let you try before you buy or set the bikes up on a turbo trainer. People will prefer both bikes so you wont get a simple answer.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Yeah my local shops aren't keen on test rides, and the one that does let you take a bike out charges £50... So I'm going for the Genesis, it's a bit of pot luck but it saves me dealing with Halfords!

If your spending a lot it might be worthwhile taking a trip into glasgow or Edinburgh to actually try the bikes out first. A lot of money if you make the wrong choice.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

6 hour round trip - no thanks! Petrol costs alone makes that annoyingly expensive! I'll take my chances, if it's wrong I'll sell it and buy something else :smile:

Howard

And of course, selling it on would not be annoyingly expensive or a waste of time at all.

How about you order it on-line, and use the distance selling regs to send it back if it's not right?

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Of course I'd send it back if it's not right, I'm not an idiot! What I mean is if after a couple of months of cycling it seems like it's not the best option then I'll buy another bike, it's no massive deal. I don't have the time or patience for a 6 hour trip just to test a bike out, it annoys me that I can't do it here because my local bike shops are shoot, so I'm ordering online... My post wasn't about that, it was just for a general opinion or experience of these particular brands... Now I'm wondering if a Croix de Fer is a better option than a Vapour Disc but I can't really see much difference in them...

Howard

I'd expect cost of petrol < loss on selling the bike on. Not sure how much you value your time though. However I'd still suggest:

Shortlist some bikes
Identify shop that sells all / most of these bikes
Call shop, ask them to get them in in your size for a test ride. Make it clear that on the day you will buy one. Try to speak to the manager / head sales guy if pos.
Set aside a day / petrol dorrah to travel to shop, test and buy
Come home happy with bike that you like and that fits

Vapour is ali, Croix is steel (and porkier).

Why not go to Edinburgh Bikes, they have a store in Aberdeen, good collection and they offer a try before you buy.

Alpine Bikes look like they have a good selection as well.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Edinburgh is full of utter morons, can't service a bike properly and don't offer a try before you buy, wouldn't even order the bike in unless I made a commitment to buy it. Alpine charge you £50 to take a bike out for a try.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

I'd expect cost of petrol < loss on selling the bike on. Not sure how much you value your time though. However I'd still suggest:

Shortlist some bikes
Identify shop that sells all / most of these bikes
Call shop, ask them to get them in in your size for a test ride. Make it clear that on the day you will buy one. Try to speak to the manager / head sales guy if pos.
Set aside a day / petrol dorrah to travel to shop, test and buy
Come home happy with bike that you like and that fits

Vapour is ali, Croix is steel (and porkier).

Yeah I've done the shortlisting bit, already dealt with the shops here and it's made me never want to darken their doorsteps again, so found a place with a good reputation online instead and have been talking to the manager there. Just don't have the time to travel to test a bike out, it would mean taking my kid with me, don't have a bike rack on car etc etc.

So the Vapour being lighter is the only real difference?

Howard

Urrgh - I hate bad bike shops.

I think - although I'm not an expert on Genesis - the Vapour is racier. The Croix slightly more do-it-all. For longer, all day rides I'd prefer the later, and for racing (1hr) I'd prefer the former.

The Croix is a somewhat cult bike, and has many happy owners. It has a little brother, called the CDF, which is the same in spirit but made from lower grade tubing and is a bit pokier.

The Vapour is not too dissimilar to the Crosslight Pro 6 - stiff alu frame, stiff, beefy front end.

Watch out for the 2013/2014 model switch - there may be some big changes to either bike.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

I feel jealous of everyone else on here having brilliant bike shops!

Yeah the Croix seems to be a best seller which is making me wonder if I should go for that instead, as it'll mostly be a commuting bike with some longer rides. I have no plans to race but I feel like I'd like the option to further along the line, which is making me think Vapour... Have looked at the CDF but can afford a slightly better spec so I'm aiming for the best I can get for the money I have. The guy at Epic Cycles has been keeping me informed and I'm following Genesis on Facebook - so far seems like both bikes will have Hayes expert brakes and a couple of other minor changes but I'm just patiently waiting for the new Vapour to go on sale....

ayceejay

Guru
I don't know if Norcross bikes are available in the UK but the Blue SL is an excellent bike with Sram Rival that I would choose over low end Shimano.

Top Bottom