Cyclocross purchase, need advice!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Says $2,100 retail? And things are generally more expensive here than over the pond. Looks pretty though.

Howard

Yeah the Croix seems to be a best seller which is making me wonder if I should go for that instead, as it'll mostly be a commuting bike with some longer rides.

For this I think the Croix would serve you very, very well. Racing is a funny one in that when you are starting out, as long as your equipment broadly works, it actually makes very little difference to your performance as you find your way. When you get a bit more experienced your equipment becomes more important.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Hmm, something to think about then... Now the only things swaying me towards the Vapour is the fact it's stunning (aqua blue and with a bit of orange - much better and slightly more 'girly' than the black and brown Croix) and about a hundred and fifty quid cheaper.

Edinburgh is full of utter morons, can't service a bike properly and don't offer a try before you buy, wouldn't even order the bike in unless I made a commitment to buy it. Alpine charge you £50 to take a bike out for a try.
If you have just started cycling on what basis are you classing them morons who cant service a bike?

I have been offered a try before you buy in the shop, Edinburgh store seemed friendly and helpful

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

If you have just started cycling on what basis are you classing them morons who cant service a bike?

I have been offered a try before you buy in the shop, Edinburgh store seemed friendly and helpful

Started cycling a few months ago but quickly discovered that they had sold me a mtb too small for me. Started using boyfriend's (bigger) mtb and was fine, but he had bought from Edinburgh, bike had been put together badly, bolt threaded, gears skipping, shocking customer service from Edinburgh and then a dreadful 6 week service which addressed none of the issues. Added to the fact I went in to talk to them about a Vapour Disc and they couldn't answer one single question I had (even though they're supposed to be a Genesis supplier?), and said they wouldn't order one in unless I was going to be buying it. Morons.

Must be Aberdeen as the Edinburgh store fitted me a bike, answered all questions professionally and even offered me to try bikes out before I bought.

No problems whats so ever down here.

Think you have been unlucky Sazzaa. I would get your correct size, youtube videos of reviews, some websites have reviews of the bike. I personally like my cannondale caadx sora 2014 but I dont have a lot of experience as I am a newbie myself.

£800 and was well worth it (even though I paid £680) thanks to tredz

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
i run a boardman cx 2013....great bike for the price imo...halfords can be a hit or a miss though....theres a few issues with the bike though heavy wheels...not so bad on the flat but very noticeable on climbs...and the front mech is a bitch

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Wow, Edinburgh have just offered to let me test ride a Croix de Fer. For a £230 deposit. They can go fark themselves.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Simply don't see the need for a cash deposit, when I've test rode snowboards they take your card details, address and a signature. Car test drives are usually unaccompanied up here, they also just take your details!

Howard

Well, they do - and it's their business. They are running the show. If you don't like it, don't go there. But moaning about it in the Cyclocross Racing Thread (tm) isn't going to get you much sympathy, sorry.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Only went back to them because I'm extrememly limited for choice locally and the poster above had encountered good service with them. Won't be using them now. I'm happy for this to be moved to the "which bike" thread... Didn't know where to post to start with.

Top Bottom