D-Lock suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
spent a few hours searching for bike D-lock recommendations
my existing Magnum Plus cable Lock [8mm cable] got completely slated [elsewhere]

ok .. I can see the logic behind top level locks at £70-80 but honestly canna afford that

any suggestions circa £30..?...................thanks
usage...local shopping in village

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The thicker the shackle the better. Look for at least gold standard. Some good Magnum X power ones in that bracket. Shop about though. The best are Abus Granite and New York FAGH

vickster

Legendary Member
The Kryptonite one with the cable looks a good option

Assume the bike is insured? Or not especially valuable? If the former, check the T&Cs on the policy as some specify specific locks

Sara_H

Guru
I've got an Abus Granit X-plus which's got fantastic reviews and did well in the bike radar tests. I did a bit of internet searching and managed to get mine for about £38 off ebay.

Sara_H

Guru

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I think being a 14mm shackle for £23 this seems a great bargain and a reasonable compromise regarding size - the objective is to ensure nothing stubby like below can find the room to fit inside, while letting you lock frame and wheel(s) to something imoveable - if those conditions are met the only sure way to breach a good D is noisy power tool, which can go through anything. So another objective is to lock your bike near something equally nice locked with nothing but cable or chain... :whistle:

9105a-in-hand.jpg

Depending on the trip I find use for a range of locks from a 1mm thin wired alarm to a 2.7kg 18mm New York D, it is horses for courses, as they say.

With some of the smaller ones you might want to make a card template and see if you can lock it to your preferred village street furniture. Look up the Sheldon Brown method of locking the back wheel, maybe have locking wheel spindle thingys rather than quick release on the front wheel at least.

Top Bottom