D / U-lock carriage / mounting locations..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I have a Kryptonite series 2 U-lock and cable. It came with a frame lock which has long-since been lost.

Typically I've always carried the lock on its own in my rucksack, however now I'm looking to do longer journeys this appeals less, while I'll be using a nicer bike so will want to take the cable for added protection.

I've considered buying another (typically extortionately priced) "flexframe" mount to fit the lock to the bike frame, however I can't really see any practical place to put it. Anywhere inside the frame will foul the water bottle, while offset / outside looks good on paper, although I think I'll struggle for clearance if I fit it to the side of the seat tube.

I was also wondering about lashing it to the top of the panier rack somehow, but my feeble brain's not up to working out how today.

How do you carry your lock?

vickster

Legendary Member
In a rack bag or pannier mounted on the rack :okay:

Maybe you could wrap in something and attach to rack with a bungee but it might rattle/get wet

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Every frame mount I have used has eventually broken, so I just strap it top of the rack with a short bungie, no rattles or movement as the straight edge of the lock slides over the saddle end of the rack.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Cheers both!

I was considering trying to mount it flat to the top of the rack but am yet to get my head around quite how. Maybe some shaped high-density foam blocks to keep everything separate and a bungee as suggested.. or I could probably mount it vertically like a shark's fin with the frame mount fitted to the rack.

I did also consider sticking it inside the pannier bag but know that hard heavy things subject to lots of vibration can cause a lot of damage to bags over time.

I'm currently caught in a bit of a consumptive doom loop - a frame mount is about £12, but for £33 I could buy a whole other Kryptonite mini lock, cable and frame mount.. and since I'll have two bikes in two locations having two locks might not be a bad idea. I could of course just be blagging myself into spending more money than necessary because it feels like better value :rolleyes:

I must admit I don't much like the idea of frame-mounted stuff either...

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheers both!

I was considering trying to mount it flat to the top of the rack but am yet to get my head around quite how. Maybe some shaped high-density foam blocks to keep everything separate and a bungee as suggested.. or I could probably mount it vertically like a shark's fin with the frame mount fitted to the rack.

I did also consider sticking it inside the pannier bag but know that hard heavy things subject to lots of vibration can cause a lot of damage to bags over time.

I'm currently caught in a bit of a consumptive doom loop - a frame mount is about £12, but for £33 I could buy a whole other Kryptonite mini lock, cable and frame mount.. and since I'll have two bikes in two locations having two locks might not be a bad idea. I could of course just be blagging myself into spending more money than necessary because it feels like better value :rolleyes:

I must admit I don't much like the idea of frame-mounted stuff either...
Can you post a picture of the lock and mount...I might have one that I'll never use :smile:

si_c

Guru
I used the flexframe mount for my series 2 u-lock, it was OK, but it did rattle quite a bit over rougher surfaces which was annoying. Not a problem with commuting, but it also damaged the paint work on the bike so when that frame broke I stopped using it and just left the lock at work.

For going to the shops now I carry a mini ulock in my rucksack with an additional cable lock, it's easier. I'm pretty sure that i have the flex mount somewhere, but since we moved a lot of stuff has been stashed in boxes in the garage so I'd have to take a look.

Gwylan

Veteran
Faced similar dilemma.

After loss of previous bike ice gone overboard

Have a gold rated U lock and a piece of security chain and a robust padlock. See Screwfix for the chain and a decent locksmith for the lock.

Adapted the chain so it will fit the U bolt. Makes a flexible range of lock options. Do not always take the chain. But the combination should slow any thief down. Not least that it weighs in at 3+ kg!

They end up in the panniers, at the moment. Seem to cycle in circles given the weight distribution. Thinking of routing a wooden holder to put on the top of the panniers.

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_20220902_175906836_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220902_175906836_HDR.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 3

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am using a bungee cord to attach my VERY heavy lock to the side of my very skinny rack. (The rack doesn't have much of a top section so the lock can't go there.) I use a long bungee so I can wrap it multiple times round the rack and lock to keep the lock really secure. It still rattled on bumpy roads though so I added some lengths of pipe lagging to the shackle of the lock which solved the problem.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks all!
Can you post a picture of the lock and mount...I might have one that I'll never use :smile:

Thanks - much appreciate the thought but I think I'm going to stick with what I've got for the time being. For the record the lock is one of these:

Seriese-2-standard-u-lock.jpg

.. and the mount is one of these:

w.evanscycles.com%2Fimages%2Fproducts%2F93052301_l.jpg

:smile:

Just strap it to the top of the rack with bungees,velcro straps or if your feeling flush maybe these;

https://freshtripe.co.uk/voile/

They are very good though, also work well as bike securing straps in a train carriage.

Cheers - I think that's the way I'm going to go as it seems like the most viable / mechanically sympathetic approach. Thanks for the link to the straps - they look good and I'm quite looking forward to kitting myself out with some decent practical gear.

I used the flexframe mount for my series 2 u-lock, it was OK, but it did rattle quite a bit over rougher surfaces which was annoying. Not a problem with commuting, but it also damaged the paint work on the bike so when that frame broke I stopped using it and just left the lock at work.

For going to the shops now I carry a mini ulock in my rucksack with an additional cable lock, it's easier. I'm pretty sure that i have the flex mount somewhere, but since we moved a lot of stuff has been stashed in boxes in the garage so I'd have to take a look.

Thanks - I appreciate the warts-and-all assessment as tbh I thought it looked a bit less-than-idea from a number of angles. If it shows up and you want to get rid I might not say not to having a go with it, but currently I'm happy to look at lashing it to the pannier rack.

Faced similar dilemma.

After loss of previous bike ice gone overboard

Have a gold rated U lock and a piece of security chain and a robust padlock. See Screwfix for the chain and a decent locksmith for the lock.

Adapted the chain so it will fit the U bolt. Makes a flexible range of lock options. Do not always take the chain. But the combination should slow any thief down. Not least that it weighs in at 3+ kg!

They end up in the panniers, at the moment. Seem to cycle in circles given the weight distribution. Thinking of routing a wooden holder to put on the top of the panniers.

:rolleyes:

lol - yeah, I've been thinking about how I could make a little mount for tidy fitment. Was thinking of something that straddles the bars on the rack with a toggle or two to hold it in place. Of course what my mind's capable of dreaming up and my attention span / motivation will allow me to actually create are two very different things..

I am using a bungee cord to attach my VERY heavy lock to the side of my very skinny rack. (The rack doesn't have much of a top section so the lock can't go there.) I use a long bungee so I can wrap it multiple times round the rack and lock to keep the lock really secure. It still rattled on bumpy roads though so I added some lengths of pipe lagging to the shackle of the lock which solved the problem.

Cheers - was thinking similar about bungees. I think the big thing is going to be elevating the lock above the portions of bag that sit over the sides of the rack, as I don't want it damaging them. Pipe lagging doesn't sound like a bad place to start!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Chuck it in the saddlebag no problem.

It might come to that - although I really rather it had its own home as I don't want to be struggling for space when the bags are full of shopping - been there done that!

I’ve got a spare mount for a Kryptonite New York if you want it @wafter if you’re interested PM me and I’ll drop it in the post.

View attachment 659775

View attachment 659776

Thanks - that's very generous of you!

I'll see how I get on with things as they are once I've sorted the bike out, but will drop you a PM if I can't get my head around a viable solution :smile:

Gunk

Guru
Ive also got the collar which fits to the U lock, as I said I’m happy to stick it in the post to you.

image.jpg

Top Bottom