Dads Army

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The radio series is oft repeated on BBC7. If anything, funnier then the tv series.

Ceedee

Sorry I can't stand Dads Army, I was in my early teens when it was on originally and never did like it even the music P***ed me off.

It annoys me that the BBC still repeat the series after 30 years at prime time. :eek:

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
My dad was in the Home Guard, and he loves it. It is actually nearer the truth in many ways than you might imagine.

The kids also love it, despite some of the humour being lost on them due to its setting. We have several episodes on DVDs.

We have an Aldi portable DVD player for the car, to keep them quite on long journeys, and they started this off as we were about to leave from a walk in the Black Forest. So there we were, in a car park in the Black Forest, windows open, and 'Who do you think you are kidding Mr Hitler' blairing out of the speakers. I thought it best to beat a hasty retreat!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
[Pvt Godfrey] My sister Sissy has just made one of her lovely upside-down cakes. Would you like some? [/Pvt Godfrey]

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
There was a drum 'n' bass version of the theme tune knocking about some years ago... can't find a working mp3 link at the mo, but it was funny! called dadsdrumandbass if anyone wants to search for it....

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
A great series. I remember it as a kid, but as an adult I fully appreciate the humour, subtlety and deft touches that make it one of the best sitcoms we've produced in the UK.

Not having Sky or Virgin, I've not had years of watching it repeated so it's still very fresh; I've just been gathering up all of the DVDs recently and watching an entire series at a time.

Pike: "Whistle while you work - Hitler is a twerp !
He's half-barmy, so's his army
Whistle while you work !"
German: "Your name vill also go on ze list - what is it ?"
Cpt Mainwaring: "Don't tell him, Pike !"

Mortiroloboy

Pike is still alive. And Jones I think.

Useless fact of the day-

Arnold Ridley, who played Private Godfrey, was invalided out of the Somme and was a Major in WWII. He wrote The Ghost Train.

Pah! I thought I was the only one who knew that! Damn you! Will HAY in the Ealing or was it Gainsborough Studios film as the station Porter, Brilliant!

postman

Legendary Member
Dad's Army.

Try to watch The Man and The Hour.From series one.Cpl Jones ,comes to enlist. He actually sign's the table top.Mainwaring expression is superb. Had me in tear's.Each one of those men were real actor's .Knew their craft.

Top Bottom