Daevid Allen joins the great gig in the sky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I saw Gong, but was too young for Soft Machine concerts, but knew their music.

We had a friend who worked for Virgin and often got to hear up and coming stuff at his house... he was taking the tracks around the radio companies and trying to gain air play.

I think that we are blessed (as old fogeys!) in these musicians were exploring new boundaries, new instruments, new electronics and themes in away that was not possible before or since.

I doubt that any of the modern bands, and the manufactured bands will ever have a a legacy as strong or as marked as Daevid Allen, and others of his ilk

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Very true... although i have high hopes for Let's Eat Grandma... forever may they avoid the mainstream like the plague, remain virtually unlistenable and be massively imaginative. It's the sort of brilliance that goes over almost everyone's head.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Sorry to hear this. Camembert Eleqtrique was played at many strange parties I attended in my youth. This track summed up them live perfectly.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWak6bfPS_U

we once drove from Lancaster to High Wycombe to see Planet Gong in 1990-91ish (at a pub called The Swan i recall)... brilliant gig... then we drove back to Lancaster when it finished at around 11pm.

220 miles to see a band, and 220 miles back home, that's dedication!!!

edit... I also packed in a job to go and see Hear & Now in Leeds.

Top Bottom