Dahon Briza D8 folding bike. What do you reckon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ms Slomo is getting quite keen on riding around town on Boris Bikes but wants something lighter and I've been asked to come up with ideas. She lives in a first floor flat which shares a narrow hall and staircase. I thought that a folder might suit her needs as long as it's got biggish wheels and is quite light......say 20" at least and less than 12kg. She could stash it in her flat without too much difficulty. I thought a Dahon Briza D8 or a Dahon Mariner D8 might suit her but I know very little about either. If anybody has any views on either (or alternatives) I would be grateful to hear them. Budget is £650 absolute tops, preferably £550. I'm sure that there are secondhand bargains to be had, but I would rather not take the risk given my complete ignorance. (The Dutch style one is the Briza) Thank you.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
She'll soon get tired of carrying a bike up the stairs, or at least I would. I'd be looking at the lightest and easiest to carry while folded, which is hard to advise on.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
She'll soon get tired of carrying a bike up the stairs, or at least I would. I'd be looking at the lightest and easiest to carry while folded, which is hard to advise on.
12kg for a folder seems pretty light according to the little research that I've done. The staircase has a landing and turns 180 degrees but it's not that long, about 3.0 metres vertically floor to floor. She's 6ft tall and pretty fit. There's no room to keep a bike in the narrow hall and anything locked up outside would be nicked within hours.

Have a look at Tern folding bikes. They get discounted heavily (pre Brexit / Covid though)

The fold is lighting quick - like under a minute - mine has 20 inch wheels and rides nicely. The downside is that the folded bike is quite big - compared to say a Brompton. But I brought a folding bike from eBay which reduces this as a problem. The bag straps nicely onto the seat post.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Tern-Link-...PIzP2RrmOvzs7jcHQZBjsWa0IUVFClHhoCUuwQAvD_BwE

Top Bottom