Dahon Curl on Kickstarter ... this time for real.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
Featuring Brand X as comparision :laugh::boxing::cycle:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1276083635/dahon-curl-ultra-compact-folding-bike?ref=user_menu

39843849233357a1c6755915eabbf27e_original.gif

f69a207ad5b1585d31ab554c7246cd9d_original.gif

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Only £50 more than an M3R and only 1kg heavier? Where do I sign up?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I see Dahon is claiming several US patents which will presumably help them prove the bike's uniqueness if they are accused of making a knock-off Brompton.

What's also interesting is the use of kickstarter for this project.

Dahon has had its ups and downs, but is a major bike maker and doesn't need $50,000 to produce a new bike.

Thus kickstarter is being used purely as a sales and marketing tool, which is not what it's supposed to be about.

Kickstarter may not care, they get paid, possibly on a commission of the sum raised hence Dahon asking to raise a small amount.

A lot of kickstarter projects do look fanciful - and flawed - but it would be a pity if the site was taken over by big business.

They are fronting up the Brompton copy aspect of things

"The Curl learns from, and has evolved on, some of the best designs on the market, including Brompton and Diblasi (all legally). Diblasi indeed, was the first to introduce the rear wheel “flip-fold” in the 1970’s, but is rarely given credit. "
This is the patent system working like it should. Brompton had 20 years of patent protection, followed by another 20 years of the good will that comes with having built the best regard folders. Now it's time for other manufacturers to use those ideas as they are legally entitled to. Not to make a copy, of course, that someone would mistake for a brompton, but there is no reason why they shouldn't use the formerly patented ideas if they make for a better bicycle.

The diamond frame was once patented, after all.

1891-Referee-Diamond-Frame-01.jpg

Mm
"Shake resistant" is billed as a feature. Imagine that.

I hope it has better wheels than my dahon came with. They used to sing like a musical instrument. I later learned that this was because dahon hadn't quite figured that the rims were flexing, putting strain on the spokes. One would think that a bike company would know something about wheels.

Mine now has two new ones.

In short, i would pass and save for a brommie.

Top Bottom