Dahon Metro chain ring guard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bence8810

Hi all,

As I've gotten myself a Brompton, my old trusty Dahon Metro 2006 isn't going to get much use regularly.

Before I put it away, I did an overall cleaning and re-lubing and in the process I managed to brake the chain ring cover.
From one of the broken pieces I found a part number, it reads JT-52-0606

The only place I can locate this part is at the below site:

http://www.thorusa.com/accessories/dahonchainguards.htm

Before I buy from them, I wanted to check two things.
Is Thorusa a reputed dealer of parts? When I went to "add to cart" it just took me to paypal and asked to pay, no mention of shipping charges (I am in Tokyo) etc, felt a little dodgy.

Also, are there other / cheaper / easily available after market parts? I understand I'd need to measure the distance between the holes on the chain ring etc...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:

u_i

Über Member
I bought from him a Dahon accessory. It was weird as I never received any order confirmation message, other than from PayPal about the payment. I was getting worried, but then the order arrived in a blink of an eye.

OP
OP
bence8810

bence8810

I bought from him a Dahon accessory. It was weird as I never received any order confirmation message, other than from PayPal about the payment. I was getting worried, but then the order arrived in a blink of an eye.
Thanks!

Since then I found more info about shipping on the site, it says even the smallest of parts will go for about 25USD so that would make the part more than twice as expensive. Funny system though, you first pay with paypal, the part(s) get boxed up and when ready, an email is sent to the buyer for the full shipping cost to be paid.

Anyways, at this point I'd just really want to get something aftermarket. Any tips on where to buy, what to look for?

Thanks,
Ben

u_i

Über Member
There are no standards for chain guards. I.e. if it is not written that it will fit Dahon model such and such it is a hit and miss and mostly miss. You could try your luck on AliExpress as the manufacturer for Dahon might also sell independently. Often dimensions are listed there, so look for the same appearance and dimensions. Prices, including shipping are low. Unfortunately I am away from our Dahons to have a direct look seeking more inspiration.

Top Bottom