Dalesman - chain problems, and STIs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rob dixon

Trying to narrow down my bike choice - several friends have Dalemans but two have had problems with chains breaking and I have seen something on the net a while ago abou this. Anyone else experience this?

Also, the STIs look a bit vulnerable in a crash or spill - anyone had problems with these? And do you like them?

Many thanks.

OP
OP
R

rob dixon

Should have said, these were new bikes, problems occurred after a few hundred miles.
Thanks,
Rob

PpPete

Legendary Member
If you are worried about the chain - just buy a regular KMC 9 speed one and keep the original as a spare.

As for the STI's being vulnerable....yes but hundreds of people ride with them.
And - despite my avatar, I like 'em too (apart from the price) I put some "nearly new" Sora 9 speed shifters on my Galaxy and not had any problems.

The current Dalesman looks like good value to me - if you want STIs on a tourer. If you prefer DT or bar end shifters then look elsewhere.

It's been said elsewhere, but if you are worried about fragility of STI shifters on a long tour, take an old pair of DT shifters in your saddlebag - hardly any weight.

OP
OP
R

rob dixon

Pete, thanks very much - useful advice. Was planning to get spare chain, in view of this risk. I wonder how you rate the Galaxy vs the Dalesman? And did the new shifters work ok on the Galaxy?
At the mo, the Dalesman looks better value? Shop said the components are better than those on the std Galaxy - but I'm new to this so dunno! I like the fact that there are three riding positions on the Dalesman, each with brakes available
Cheers,
R

Top Bottom