Damage to new cleats - help!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Suzi76

Hi all, I’ve just changed to Shimano R540 pedals with the triangular cleats and have been practicing clipping in and out. I noticed after clipping in and out multiple times that the yellow plastic part on the back part closest to the bike has sheared off almost completely on both cleats! Has anyone else experienced this and can you tell me what I’m doing wrong? Are you meant to tip your foot forward before unclipping (I know to twist my ankle away from the bike - I have been using mountain bike SPDs for just over a year). Thanks for any advice!

wisdom

Guru
As far as I am aware the plastic bit is to allow walking(though not much)It doesn' interface with the pedal.I have worn mine off but only with walking.

OP
OP
Suzi76

Suzi76

Thanks wisdom. I read on Shimano’s site that the cleats should be replaced when the yellow part is worn down so I was a little worried that I had damaged them.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You may have broken off the yellow buffers while practicing clipping in and out or you may have done it by pivoting on your cleats while walking. They are a lot more durable than Look cleats, their cleats and pedals are rubbish.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
They are a lot more durable than Look cleats, their cleats and pedals are rubbish.

I switched to Look from Spd-sl & I find that the Look cleats last a lot longer than shimano :blush: I always try to remember & use my covers, but we have a gravel driveway & I'm not the lightest chap, so tend to get through cleats at quite a rate.

If the front bit is badly worn they need changing asap :okay:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wait until those Look Keo cleats wear so much that they start creaking horribly and then the pedal bodies unscrew themselves from their cartridges and fall off.

Top Bottom