Damaged my brand new Shimano Nexus 7 IGH!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chr15b

Über Member
Hi Folks,

Yesterday morning I picked up my new Boardman URB 8.8 which comes with a Gates Belt & Nexus 7 IGH. This morning I went to fit mudguards (Video is on YT if interested) and when removing the rear wheel from the bike (First time removing a wheel from both a Belt & Hub setup) I stupidly used a screwdriver to lever out the shift cable retainer and broke the plastic part that holds it in place. Idiot.

This image clearly shows the broken part.

I believe I've identified the replacement part as Y74Y98050 which is only £10 online but before I go and order it, I couldn't help but notice the damaged plastic part looks like it may be held in with two screws - does anyone know if this on it's own can be replaced? If not, £10 isn't the end of the world.

For anyone else that's replaced one of these, any tips? I'm assuming there is an optimal gear to put the bike in before doing it? Maybe not.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Regards,
Chris.

weareHKR

Hi there, not familiar at all with the old belt drive setup.
Difficult to tell from the picture, probably need a GA drawing to be sure, having said that for a bill & benner just buy it!

The nut only goes in and out of the slot in one rotational position. I grab the nut with pliers and give a slight anticlockwise twist to get the nut out of the slot on my Alfine.

Does that plastic bit around the slot have any function?

Last edited:
OP
OP
chr15b

chr15b

Über Member
Thanks for the responses folks, I've ordered a new part and will shift the bike into first before fitting. I know the nut could be tightened a bit to potentially hold but I figured I'd best make it right.

Lesson learned!

Don't think that part really matters(one of my bikes has a nexus7) but if it does you lose the tension on your gears so you made a good call on replacing it anyway. in case you don't know If you need to adjust your gears just put in in 4 and allign the two yellow stripes.(right above the part you need to replace on the picture)
Nexus hubs are really great in terms of needed maintenance and adjustments compared to derailer gears.(or the lack thereoff my derailer bike always has issues my nexus bike just works the only thing i have had was a flat tyre. )

Top Bottom