Damaged wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Whilst cleaning my bike today I found the rear wheel was damaged in a way that seems to make it a bit iffy to ride. One of the spokes looks as though it has been pulled inwards and is coming through the rim, as shown in the photo.

The bike is a Specialized Sirrus Pro, 4.5 years old and has covered about 12,000 miles, this is the original wheel. A few spokes have pinged since new and I'm not sure if that has contributed to the damage. In its current state I am not too keen on riding it as it looks a bit unsafe.

Anyone experienced anything similar, or know if its repairable or is a new wheel required?

I'm not sure how much a new wheel would cost, if needed, but the bike is probably only worth around £150 now so if it is in that region, it might be worth looking for a replacement bike.
Broken wheel.jpg

Standard fatigue crack. Very common. Replace the rim. It has nothing to do with the spokes pinging.

It does look thin but it is stiff, doubt it will hold much longer though. I will have to use another bike for work on Thursday unless I can get it repaired in time, which I doubt.
If you desperately need to use the bike and you are mechanically minded you may be able to make a load spreader out of a thin sheet of metal shaped and drilled to allow the spoke to slip through. A small washer may do provided the shape of the rim inside allows you to get behind to fit it. It looks like that the spoke has already been tightened up fully and could be slackened off to fit a small washer.

OP
OP
Roadhump

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I only ride the bike on the road. Occasionally I have ridden along a canal towpath, or a gravel track, but nothing where there is a lot of unusual or increased impact. I guess as others suggest, it is down to metal fatigue, it looks like there is another smaller fault on the spoke to the right. I am taking the wheel to a local bike shop this morning which hasn't been going long, but was recommended to me by the mobile bike mechanic who has done a few jobs for me.

Appreciate the feedback and advice.

pclay

Veteran
A new wheel is required. A pair of cheap Shimano wheels will set you back about £80. (Shimano r501)

I only ride the bike on the road. Occasionally I have ridden along a canal towpath, or a gravel track, but nothing where there is a lot of unusual or increased impact. I guess as others suggest, it is down to metal fatigue, it looks like there is another smaller fault on the spoke to the right. I am taking the wheel to a local bike shop this morning which hasn't been going long, but was recommended to me by the mobile bike mechanic who has done a few jobs for me.

Appreciate the feedback and advice.

That crack has NOTHING to do with impact or rough roads. It is from normal riding. A spoke in the load-affected zone actually relaxes when the spoke gets to the bottom. It is the cyclical relaxation and subsequent retensioning of the spoke that causes metal fatigue. The wheel is safe to ride and the only inconvenience is that it may rub on the brakes.

Gary E

Veteran
Please explain.

The load taken by the wheel is normally spread evenly around the whole rim, this sort of damage causes a weak spot (where the stress in concentrated) and, once damage like this has occurred, it's more likely to spread.

Oddly, the more expensive the wheel, the more susceptible it's likely to be. A cheap steel wheel has loads of redundancy but lighter designs have thinner walls and so are less able to tollerate damage.

Not saying this wheel will definitely fail, just that it's not something I'd take the risk on :smile:

Last edited:
That crack has NOTHING to do with impact or rough roads. It is from normal riding. A spoke in the load-affected zone actually relaxes when the spoke gets to the bottom. It is the cyclical relaxation and subsequent retensioning of the spoke that causes metal fatigue. The wheel is safe to ride and the only inconvenience is that it may rub on the brakes.
As you say he has been riding it as normal until he discovered the fault, so it is the fact that he now knows of the problem that makes him more wary.

Top Bottom