Damm You Wilmslow Road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Was on a flyer this morning, after passing through Cheadle my average was 19.9mph (the fastest every by that point) , then I hit the roughness that is Wilmslow road, full of busses, people who think they are "cyclists" swering all over the road and a road surface that is undulating and full of litter / Oil and by the time I was in work my speed had dropped to 17.5mph, Gutted ! I cant help thinking I will never break through that 18mph average...theres always tomorrow though.

wesa

Gutting!.

A few weeks ago I was on a flyer heading home, 20.2mph average after 9 miles, 1.5 to go and I know I can hold 20mph average home from here, the golden 20mph coummute could be mine; my PB was 19.6mph for this journey. Then I hit traffic; despite filtering as fast as I dare I got home with an average of 19.8mph, even though I broke my PB I was gutted. I have yet to get the magic 20, perhaps tonight!

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Gutting!.

A few weeks ago I was on a flyer heading home, 20.2mph average after 9 miles, 1.5 to go and I know I can hold 20mph average home from here, the golden 20mph coummute could be mine; my PB was 19.6mph for this journey. Then I hit traffic; despite filtering as fast as I dare I got home with an average of 19.8mph, even though I broke my PB I was gutted. I have yet to get the magic 20, perhaps tonight!

Ahh well at least you were much closer than I was, I cant see me breaking the 20mph average for a good few months TBH

wesa

I selectivly omitted the fact that it is downhill most of the way home!

A good day will see somewhere in the region of 17.5 average on the way in and 19 on the way home.
On my old (shorter) route I did manage a 20.0 average for the round trip.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Gutting!.

I feel your pain, still my best to date is 19.9 average over my 15 mile commute.

marcw

I've given up trying to get my speed up, I was taking more risks. I want a petrol strike,i think I could do my 11 mile commute in sub 30 mins. As it stands the difference between a fast ride and a gental one is only around 3 minutes over my journey.

Don't really care..so long as I get there safely im quite happy to take my time.No hurry..I will leave that to the motorists...

Wilmslow Road is awful - either A34, as Fossy suggested, or Parrs Wood Road are better.

mancaus

Was on a flyer this morning, after passing through Cheadle my average was 19.9mph (the fastest every by that point) , then I hit the roughness that is Wilmslow road, full of busses, people who think they are "cyclists" swering all over the road and a road surface that is undulating and full of litter / Oil and by the time I was in work my speed had dropped to 17.5mph, Gutted ! I cant help thinking I will never break through that 18mph average...theres always tomorrow though.

I was quicker this morning too (19.2 computer avg over 5 miles on my hybrid)... on the A34... but I think we need to be honest with ourselves that it was a bit wind assisted!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Don't really care..so long as I get there safely im quite happy to take my time.No hurry..I will leave that to the motorists...

Agreed. Going from an enjoyable commute to a lung-bursting one requires a significant increase in effort for minimal gains.

You're commuting, not racing. Just get there safely.

mancaus

Agreed. Going from an enjoyable commute to a lung-bursting one requires a significant increase in effort for minimal gains.

You're commuting, not racing. Just get there safely.

My commute is what I want it to be. Sometimes it's a race against the clock, sometimes a to b, sometimes a gentle warm-up/wake-up and sometimes an exploration. I don't need to be told what it should be... that's part of the fun of cycling!

I reckon the motorists have the same mentality....I will drive like a maniac today and shave two minutes off of my drive to work....:huh:

Top Bottom