Damn, damn and double damn.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garrilla

Arrived at work today to find I'd lost my rear light (CE LD 1100).

I wasn't sure if something had come off or if I had hit something early inthe ride, but I was doing 30+ down hil in very bumpy cyclolane with a bus tearing past me to get to the junction, so I wasn't too keen on looking back or stopping..

I do't normally go that way, and I wont again. The surface was terrible. N56 from Childwall to Woolton if anyone else would like to avoid it.

And I lost my light. :ohmy:

PBancroft

Ouch!

Do you know, I'm a big fan of the LD 1100 - it's a nice light. About two months ago I lost one going downhill an a bumpy road. Last week I lost a second on the same stretch of road.

I do have one more as a spare, but I'm buying a different light this time.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Kaipaith said:
Ouch!

Do you know, I'm a big fan of the LD 1100 - it's a nice light. About two months ago I lost one going downhill an a bumpy road. Last week I lost a second on the same stretch of road.

I do have one more as a spare, but I'm buying a different light this time.

Sounds like the LD 1100 is a great light .....with a crap bracket!

Sorry Garrlia, that must be a real pain.

PBancroft

jonny jeez said:
Sounds like the LD 1100 is a great light .....with a crap bracket!

Sorry Garrlia, that must be a real pain.

Well that's what people said when I lost my last one, so I secured it to my rack with a cable tie. That light wasn't going anywhere!

Instead, the panel on the back of the rack fell off, taking the light with it.

rh100

What a pain - expense that could be done without I'm sure.

What about putting a plastic tie wrap around it - would a strap like that affect the visibility of light much? Just an idea. Or if it can't go around the lens, how about making like a safety anchor/loop type thing by threading it through a couple of holes in the back of the case, so if the bracket fails the tie wrap loop is still attached to the metalwork and the light just hangs off it.

Ahh, just seen Kaipaiths post - definitely selective tie wrapping required then.

sunnyjim

OTOH you may have brightened up some fellow creature's dull life..
I found one of these in the gutter a couple of weeks ago. Bracket bitty broken, battery cover missing, and switch didn't work.
They didn't really need to write 'Cateye' on it- I could have guessed...
A bit of surgery on the case to bypass the switch and it shines with much more brightness than the 2 LD600s which it will shortly be joining on my tail.

D4VOW

I lost my LD1100 on my very first ride with it attached :hyper: I replaced it with a Blackburn Mars 3.0, very bright and rugged :ohmy:

potsy

Rambler
garrilla said:
Arrived at work today to find I'd lost my rear light (CE LD 1100).

I wasn't sure if something had come off or if I had hit something early inthe ride, but I was doing 30+ down hil in very bumpy cyclolane with a bus tearing past me to get to the junction, so I wasn't too keen on looking back or stopping..

I do't normally go that way, and I wont again. The surface was terrible. N56 from Childwall to Woolton if anyone else would like to avoid it.

And I lost my light. ;)
Oh dear join the club garilla,lost mine on saturday ended up getting 2 from Tesco £1.25each bargain.:blush:

skrx

D4VOW said:
I lost my LD1100 on my very first ride with it attached :tired: I replaced it with a Blackburn Mars 3.0, very bright and rugged ;)

I lost the red cover on my Cateye rear light in the five minutes it took to go from the LBS to home. Cateye sent me a new cover in the post though, so I didn't mind too much -- I'm not sure if the LBS guy who offered to fit the light did it properly.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Crankarm put me on to these last week. £3. Simple. Sound. They arrived today. Very nice they look too. Not sure why you'd want to spend more.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Just to add to the list of ex LD1100 owners. Mine flew down the street in a manner that would have made Barnes Wallis proud.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Well I did send an email to Cateye about their brackets and how secure they were not. Infact I even suggested that they should R&D a more robust light with a permanently secured allen bolt over the quick release strategy.

I have an LD600 (I think its called) that has died on the bumpy roads here. I think the PCB has snapped or something has come loose. It rattles too.

Top Bottom