Damn, it was cold on the bike this morning!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Did a quick 20 miler out to Chipping and back, riding cautiously because of the icy patches. Felt the rear tyre slip a few times climbing up through Chaigley. Near Mitton we came across a 100 yard flood, which as a former mountain biker I had no fear of riding through, keeping to the crown of the road and bracing myself for the possibility of a hidden pothole. The water was about 3" deep so of course I didn't rotate the pedals, just pumping them a couple of inches and keeping them almost flat. My cycling buddy though went through gung-ho and soaked his feet so that by the time we reached Chiping his feet were frozen. Silly fellow. Anyway the cafe was warm and the proprietor Steve gave him a towel while his socks dried on the radiator. By the time we eventually set off home it had clouded over and warmed up and the gritter had been through so all the ice had melted.

Gave the bike a good hot shampoo and rinse when I got home to get the salt off.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Did a quick 20 miler out to Chipping and back, riding cautiously because of the icy patches. Felt the rear tyre slip a few times climbing up through Chaigley. Near Mitton we came across a 100 yard flood, which as a former mountain biker I had no fear of riding through, keeping to the crown of the road and bracing myself for the possibility of a hidden pothole. The water was about 3" deep so of course I didn't rotate the pedals, just pumping them a couple of inches and keeping them almost flat. My cycling buddy though went through gung-ho and soaked his feet so that by the time we reached Chiping his feet were frozen. Silly fellow. Anyway the cafe was warm and the proprietor Steve gave him a towel while his socks dried on the radiator. By the time we eventually set off home it had clouded over and warmed up and the gritter had been through so all the ice had melted.

Gave the bike a good hot shampoo and rinse when I got home to get the salt off.
You know its deep when its over the BB :smile:

I was out at sun up. My poor old fingers turned to stingy ice blocks in about 10 seconds flat. Despite decent gloves, hand warmers and all sorts. Ah well that's winter riding for ya:becool:

0lonerider

Veteran
frosts never lifted up here in windynook,theres frost at the roadsides but all the auld trainlines n cyclepaths over the dykes,wrekinton, eigtonbanks are froze solid and empty! got to have some offroad fun! and get home with a clean bike. wasnt far but fun.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You are a braver man than me - I took one look at the amount of ice about on untreated surfaces and decided to stick to the well-gritted A646 instead of my usual quieter, hilly routes which would almost certainly have dangerous icy patches!

I rode as far as Rose Grove to get 15 miles in, then turned and rode back to double it to 30 miles.

Yes - coldest ride of the year for me! TBH, if it were not for the fact that I need a few more miles to hit my 2014 MyCyclingLog target, I would be sticking to riding my gym bike until January. Just another 54 miles to go, and that will be me done with it until the NY, unless we get some milder, sunnier conditions in the mean time.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Was quite nice here. was out a bit after 7 wasn't too cold and when the sun came out was very pleasant.. Did 100k but the bikes filthy.
I have a 5 litre garden sprayer filled with water waiting by my back door for me when I come back from rides on gritted winter roads. Chains etc. can go rusty overnight if left with damp, salty grit on them so I give the bike a quick rinse as soon as I get back. I bounce the bike up and down a few times after that to shake off most of the water, and then give the bike a quick wipe to get rid of the rest.

0lonerider

Veteran
i couldnt ride 23c slicks! id be off in mins lol,ill stick to me 32c city tires,iv a 2011 trek 2.3 compact i wish i could do with gettin used to riding stood here! im to used of mixin road n trails since i moved back up here.i ride a qwick4 day to day

ChrisEyles

Guru
I rode out to Exmoor this morning, and it was a gorgeous winter's day out this way. Temperature wasn't so bad for the first half of the journey out but after climbing up a bit onto the moor it got flipping cold! My feet were pretty numb before I started descending back down into the warm - might try double-socking it next time I go out that way.

I definitely stick to the nice safe gritted main roads if there's ice about (things could have got very *interesting* on the back lanes), but otherwise love Winter riding just as much as Summer :smile:

young Ed

Veteran
up at about 04:00AM this morning and mum gave me and the bike a lift to the dairy farm i am getting an apprenticeship on for me to milk for the morning and then i pedalled home for lunch and then back again for the afternoon milking

the ride home at 10:00 AM was damn chilly on the fingers with no gloves! :banghead:
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom