Damsel in Distress - requires GPS advice!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kerry5h

Hello - I am a complete bike phobe (wrong forum to visit I know!) However my partner is taking up the End2End Challenge - cycling from John O Groats to Lands End in 8 days for Wooden Spoon Charity.

Each Day the route is on average over 100 miles - I am looking to buy him a Sat Nav System for his Christmas Present but want one he can put a pre-determined route in. Does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks in advance.

Kerry

PK99

Legendary Member
Kerry5h said:
Hello - I am a complete bike phobe (wrong forum to visit I know!) However my partner is taking up the End2End Challenge - cycling from John O Groats to Lands End in 8 days for Wooden Spoon Charity.

Each Day the route is on average over 100 miles - I am looking to buy him a Sat Nav System for his Christmas Present but want one he can put a pre-determined route in. Does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks in advance.

Kerry

garmin edge 705 - £££ but the best according to many

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Hi Kerry

The Garmin 605 and 705 are bike specific, waterproof and do route following and a lot more besides. BUT they're expensive (make sure you get a package with the right maps) and there's a real learning curve to get the routing working properly. You can use them like a car satnav (i.e. set a destination and go) but its better to have more control over the route if you're on a bike, so you don't end up on racetrack roads.

Finally, don't be a bike phobe! get on that bike!;)

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I think they will pretty much all take a pre-programmed set of co-ordinates from a pc?
However, I guess for that sort of journey you'd want to be able to do it on the fly.

Most people like the Garmin range, I had the extrex legend which was great but very complex (to me :smile:)
I've just bought the Satmap Active 10, it's a little pricey, but the preinstalled base maps would be good enough to enable re-routing etc and it's very easy to programme.
Battery life could be an issue though, it's a little power hungry but I've mananged very good runtimes using high powered rechargeable AA's (Vapex 2700maH.)

Anyway, good luck, and as above, get on that bike ;):tongue:

OP
OP
K

Kerry5h

Many thanks for your advice - so if I just shop around for the best Garmin Edge 605/705 - I've seen some on Ebay, I'm assuming I can purchase one from USA/Israel as you need to buy further software update for them.

Bollo said:
Finally, don't be a bike phobe! get on that bike!;)

The other half ran the marathon this year and I trained with him twice on a bike I managed 8 miles (stopping to give him mileage updates) and still have nightmares and jelly legs just thinking about it! It's not like when you were a kid!

RedBike

It all depends on where he's staying at night. Unless he's in a hotel / bb where he can recharge the unit everynight he's going to need one that works off AA bateries.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
The Garmin 605/705 are more than cycle GPSs - they are cycle training tools of the highest order. They can do so much more than a 'standard' GPS, it's amazing. If the man wants/needs training tools to get prepared for the JoGLE, it's the business. :biggrin:

For a more simple Garmin GPS, have a look at the eTrex Legend/Vista HCx, much favoured by Audax riders (people who go on long distance - 100/200/400/600 km - rides). It doesn't have all the training aids but is perfectly acceptable for routing, once additonal maps have been purchased ... but I believe there are free maps available ..... :smile:

More (useful) affirmation of the Etrax HCx for LEJoG/JoGLE here

RedBike said:
Also it's worth remembering that the maps don't always come with the units and can be VERY expensive to buy.

The Garmin can be loaded with Open Street Map data which is free, and some are routable.

THe other thought is whether this is a good investment for a one off. If you are going to use it afterwards then the investment is good, but if it is going to lie in a box then it is an awful lot of money.

There are cheaper optins for simple navigation and the ETrex series would do this without the cadence, heart rate etc.

The final option is to hire one for the event (or beforehand to see if it is something you wish it invest in.... a quick google came up with this

jimboalee

RedBike said:
It all depends on where he's staying at night. Unless he's in a hotel / bb where he can recharge the unit everynight he's going to need one that works off AA bateries.

The Edge can work off AA batteries.

It needs a 'Power chimp' and a pair of powerful batteries.

Plug the chimp into the Edge when not in use. Replace or recharge batteries in chimp while Edge is in use.

If there is motorised 'back-up', a PowerMonkey can be charged off the car's cigar lighter.

Will1985

Über Member
If he's just going to use it for "sat-nav" purposes, an Edge is a waste of money - far better getting an eTrex which can use AA batteries. As said above, the 705 is an expensive training tool which also has mapping capabilities...too many people don't appear to be utilising even 30% of its potential.

Top Bottom