'dancing' on the peddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i've been cycling strongly for about 6 weeks now, 20 - 30 miles 4 or 5 times a week, but whenever i try to get out of the saddle on a hill i can only do about 30 peddle revolutions before i'm knackered and have to sit down again. is this because i'm still nowhere fit enough yet or is it just bad technique? am i the only one who suffers with this?
on a good note i've shifted 1 1/2 stone in those 6 weeks^_^

Nebulous

Guru
Hills have taken me a long time to make progress. I'm just into my second year of serious cycling and am only now feeling that my climbing is improving.

A couple of thoughts from my experience: Work them - despite having plenty opportunities to climb I enjoy cranking it up on the flat and some of my favourite routes have a fairly flat profile.I've had to consciously seek hills out and plan routes with more climbing to get better at them.

Watch you don't blow. I use a heart-rate monitor and have had a couple of failures where I have just pushed too hard on hills and run out of steam. Timing for them has been one of the most difficult lessons to learn, whereas pacing on the flat appears easy to me.

Incidentally there is no need to get out of the saddle. Keeping a fairly low gear and spinning is often recommended for climbing hills.

betty swollocks

large member
You'll need to choose a slightly higher (more difficult to pedal) gear when out of the saddle than when on. Are you over-revving?

Nearly there

Veteran
I use the seated position when climbing as i find the stand up approach uses energy faster maybe like the op it will come with better fitness levels

Getting out of the saddle is also more about the speed of climbing. It less efficient, but allows you to grind harder and go faster - however getting tired quickly when doing so is to be expected, so I don't think you're doing anything wrong :smile:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You are using slightly different muscles when out of the saddle, so if you aren't used to being out of the saddle the muscles used will not be all that conditioned. The advantages of dancing on the pedals is you are using your bodyweight to create energy and it let's you rest some muscles for a short period. Sit and spin then drop a couple of cogs stand for a little then sit back down change gear and spin again. A long hill should not be treated as a Sprint or you will burn out two thirds of the way up.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
it's just a different form of stamina and you can improve it quickly if you want. I used a 1 mile hill near me and climbed all the way out of the saddle a couple of times a week. Eventually you'll find a style that suits you, or you just prefer, but in the meantime working at it will make the difference. Though I was generally slower on this hill out of saddle than in.

Like most I probably climb seated more, or at least for longer climbs. But it's nice to be able to get out of the saddle either for short and steep or just for a change of pace/position. Being out of the saddle can also allow you to go really slowly, almost like a moving trackstand, handy for offroad at times as well.

Mozzy

I must admit to standing now on decent hills. I find position all important; get it slightly wrong and I struggle. Get in the 'zone' and I can stay like it for ages; well, until I get to the top. Yes, prefer much slower revs going uphill standing, gives the thighs and glutes a good pounding, must most importantly it gets me to the top of the hill quicker than sitting with legs spinning round and round while I peak at about 3mph. Oh yes, done that hill, yee har down the other side we come :smile:

lukesdad

I climb out of the saddle always have, I would say it takes practice, but as ive done it all my life well..........Ive had a lot of practice :sad:

lukesdad

Getting out of the saddle is also more about the speed of climbing. It less efficient, but allows you to grind harder and go faster - however getting tired quickly when doing so is to be expected, so I don't think you're doing anything wrong :smile:
This is rubbish sorry but it is !

lukesdad

Wh
You'll need to choose a slightly higher (more difficult to pedal) gear when out of the saddle than when on. Are you over-revving?
Can you tell me why you need to use a higher gear when out of the saddle ? Out of the saddle in the same gear will make the climb easier.

Top Bottom