'dancing' on the peddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I mostly climb on the hoods stood up at about 75-80rpm, too fast and I find it saps energy fast. For long shallow climbs I usually just spin in the saddle, but steep climbs require good standing technique, which I've yet to perfect. This mornings climb was a testament to pain...a 15% climb on frosty roads just ended up being far too much work due to back wheel slipping (even when seated). Didn't enjoy that one bit.

*lukesdad* - choosing a higher gear on a shallower climb will allow you to get out of the saddle and maintain your ideal rhythm. As I said above, mine is about 75-80rpm, any faster and it feels uncomfortable. When out of the saddle and I start to spin too fast I just shift up a gear and settle. Cranking out a regular rhythm makes climbs easier as you get into the "zone" of keeping that cadence.

This is rubbish sorry but it is !

http://www.perfectcondition.ltd.uk/Articles/honking/Honking.htm

This wasn't my source, merely the first hit I found when googling for some backup to what I said. Which I stand by. Getting out of the saddle is less efficient - I.e. more energy expended to go at the same speed as when sitting. However, depending on the circumstances and your aim, it can be 'better' as it allows you to put significantly more in than when sitting.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I used to get up out of the saddle but now I just sit there, relax my shoulders and grip, and just keep going, no matter how tough it gets. At least, til I run out of puff and fall over sideways (it only happened the once... :blush:). It seems to be working for me. The hills aren't getting any easier but I'm getting up them faster.

lukesdad

I mostly climb on the hoods stood up at about 75-80rpm, too fast and I find it saps energy fast. For long shallow climbs I usually just spin in the saddle, but steep climbs require good standing technique, which I've yet to perfect. This mornings climb was a testament to pain...a 15% climb on frosty roads just ended up being far too much work due to back wheel slipping (even when seated). Didn't enjoy that one bit.

*lukesdad* - choosing a higher gear on a shallower climb will allow you to get out of the saddle and maintain your ideal rhythm. As I said above, mine is about 75-80rpm, any faster and it feels uncomfortable. When out of the saddle and I start to spin too fast I just shift up a gear and settle. Cranking out a regular rhythm makes climbs easier as you get into the "zone" of keeping that cadence.
Re my first post thats why you need to practice :thumbsup:

lukesdad

http://www.perfectcondition.ltd.uk/Articles/honking/Honking.htm

This wasn't my source, merely the first hit I found when googling for some backup to what I said. Which I stand by. Getting out of the saddle is less efficient - I.e. more energy expended to go at the same speed as when sitting. However, depending on the circumstances and your aim, it can be 'better' as it allows you to put significantly more in than when sitting.
Yes but your not talking about efficient climbing are you ?

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!

Leaning to far forward ? Climbers use longer stems exactly for this reason.

Yes, leaning too far forward. If you want to sustain out of the saddle riding and maximise power transfer to the pedals you need to be balanced over the top of them so you are pushing down. If you're leaning too far forward you'll be pushing down through the front wheel squashing the tyre on the down stroke. Maybe the longer stem gives more leaverage to pull up on the bars?

lukesdad

Yes, leaning too far forward. If you want to sustain out of the saddle riding and maximise power transfer to the pedals you need to be balanced over the top of them so you are pushing down. If you're leaning too far forward you'll be pushing down through the front wheel squashing the tyre on the down stroke. Maybe the longer stem gives more leaverage to pull up on the bars?
Its about drive thru the pedals and supporting body weight. So yes your beginning to get the point.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
i've been cycling strongly for about 6 weeks now, 20 - 30 miles 4 or 5 times a week, but whenever i try to get out of the saddle on a hill i can only do about 30 peddle revolutions before i'm knackered and have to sit down again. is this because i'm still nowhere fit enough yet or is it just bad technique? am i the only one who suffers with this?
on a good note i've shifted 1 1/2 stone in those 6 weeks^_^

Congratulations on the weight loss. Great result in only 6 weeks. Standing Grinding is a teqnique that takes a long time to learn. I am a bit better at it now than 2 years ago but still wouldnt say i have mastered it.

If your enjoying your cycling and obviously getting fitter then I wouldnt worry to much.Try to get out and ride with a more experienced rider to get some constructive criticism of your style.

betty swollocks

large member
Wh

Can you tell me why you need to use a higher gear when out of the saddle ? Out of the saddle in the same gear will make the climb easier.
Yes: it's because you are able to exert greater force on the pedals, as you're using your body weight as well as leg strength. Keeping to the same gear will/may become too easy, causing the downward pedal stroke to fall away under you. In a higher gear, you'll have something to push against.

albion

Guru
Isn't this dependant on steepness of hill, fitness level of individual and gearing on bike?
If the hill gets steep I just hit the granny gear and always staying seated.

This means no recovery times is needed, less energy is wasted and extra long climbs are no problem whatsoever.
However I do know I will bust my dodgy knee if the gear is too high.

lukesdad

Yes: it's because you are able to exert greater force on the pedals, as you're using your body weight as well as leg strength. Keeping to the same gear will/may become too easy, causing the downward pedal stroke to fall away under you. In a higher gear, you'll have something to push against.
Ah but thats the difference! Dancing or grinding. Dancing is not using the body weight, its supporting the body weight and using the legs at the right angle.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom