Dangerous Dogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
(not counting mine of course!)

Anyone watching this?? quite frankly, they should put the owners down, not the dogs.

i feel so sorry for these so called "dangerous" breeds. The only reason they get labelled dangerous is because the owners buy a certain type to train up as weapons.

as for anyone who abandons their pet, they should be made to live in their own sh*t and p*ss for a year.

young Ed

Veteran
is this something on the tele or something? but yes these 'dangerous' dog breeds are only dangerous if brought up wrong
we have a some great friends that until recently had a rotveiler cross that was lovely and went every where with his master and we have a few friends with bull dogs that are great but slightly energetic and excitable! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I daren't watch it as I will just get really narked off and not be able to sleep. I see quite enough crappy owners who have 'iffy' dogs in my line of work. Interestingly, those dogs are well behaved little angels for me, but then I don't wind them up, poke them or yell at them.

young Ed

Veteran
I daren't watch it as I will just get really narked off and not be able to sleep. I see quite enough crappy owners who have 'iffy' dogs in my line of work. Interestingly, those dogs are well behaved little angels for me, but then I don't wind them up, poke them or yell at them.
may i ask what you work as? just don't reply if you would rather not say publicly
Cheers Ed

Arch

Married to Night Train
Quite right. Any dog can be wonderful, and any dog can be vicious, and the deciding factor is almost always the owner. (assuming the animal isn't actually ill)

Much the same applies to kids, I think. It's all about handling potential.

Of course, if a dog is allowed, or encouraged to be vicious, then a strong, powerful breed can do more damage than a chihuahua. But there's nothing inherently dangerous about the bigger dog.

(NT's dad had a dog chihuahua once, at the same time as NT had a rottweiler bitch. The chihuahua tried to assert his dominance, but even lying down the rottie was taller than him, so he bit her. Apparently she didn't retaliate. She could have swallowed him whole.)

AndyRM

XOXO
she trains animals to play musical instruments

Poorly by the looks of her avatar. That guitar doesn't even have strings!

There's a woman in my office who has a staffy and gets slated for it being a Death Dog by some folk. She's one of the gentlest people I've met and gets really upset about it. The media, once again, has a lot to answer for with its misrepresentation of the facts.

Sara_H

Guru
Quite right. Any dog can be wonderful, and any dog can be vicious, and the deciding factor is almost always the owner. (assuming the animal isn't actually ill)

Of course, if a dog is allowed, or encouraged to be vicious, then a strong, powerful breed can do more damage than a chihuahua. But there's nothing inherently dangerous about the bigger dog.

(NT's dad had a dog chihuahua once, at the same time as NT had a rottweiler bitch. The chihuahua tried to assert his dominance, but even lying down the rottie was taller than him, so he bit her. Apparently she didn't retaliate. She could have swallowed him whole.)
My Lab hasn't an aggressive bone in his body, even when he's been attacked by other dogs, cats and children he's not defended himself.

DaveyM

Über Member
I work as a dog trainer and often hear this same thing sadly any dog can be a problem, however, the physical abilities of some dogs limits the damage they can do.
Most breeds that are considered 'dangerous' truly aren't.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour

yes, exactly, that's why they are chosen by these idiots, because they tend to "lock" their jaws, whereas breeds like labradors don't lock. That's the only reason they get the dangerous breed reputation. If these idiots started choosing labradors, and teaching them to be aggressive, then labradors would be next on the list of dangerous dogs. or Shih Tzu's!!!

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
I work as a dog trainer and often hear this same thing sadly any dog can be a problem, however, the physical abilities of some dogs limits the damage they can do.
Most breeds that are considered 'dangerous' truly aren't.
i would say my little shih tzu is more moody that most "dangerous breeds" rolled into one! the problem is most apparent when she's sitting on my lap as she becomes very protective of me. when i asked her previous owner if she ever went for someone before i had her, i was told this behaviour was actively encouraged because they thought it was funny (give me strength!!!).

she is no longer allowed on my lap when people are around.

also the problem is quite apparent during machine gun kisses. LOL

ayceejay

Guru
None of the above is anecdotal evidence is true and I can provide anecdotal evidence to prove it.
1) My old dog (sadly passed away) was yer typical Lab - adorable, docile, good with kids etc.- she would come to work with me and sit on the grass watching my back (she had that quality too). One day she was tired and stayed in the truck, I wound down the windows and she got her head down, a kid came by and started to tease her through the open window but she was good
the kid put his head through the open window to take it a step further and my gentle girl went ballistic her teeth grew bigger as the colour from the kids face disappeared, a face he was lucky to get out of the window intact.
2) My nephew has two Staffy's (like pit bulls) and they are as good as gold, the female want to sit on your lap which is a scary thing. They had puppies and he sold them at a good price. A guy who bought one had problems that meant he wanted to return his. A week goes by and the puppy attacks it's mother tearing her back and head and so wild it needed a bullet to stop it.

Top Bottom