Dangerous Dogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just watched the programme,hell that dog warden takes lots of sh!t not only the dog kind but also from the vile gobby owners! The chav who made his way down from his flat threatening her like that wanted a real good slap the foul mouthed lowlife! Just a written warning for the woman who left the Akita in it's own mess is farcical! The cost of the time and effort by those dog wardens should be paid for by her at least!

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
It's quite easy to justify it I suppose
i often play with her like this and she doesn't normally growl, she plays like a puppy. She lies on her back, i tickle her tum and give her kisses. When i stop, she put paws at me until i do it again in a very playful way. She did this tonight but on the last kiss she growled, As said, i stopped and said Awww wazza matta and she nipped. Misread not mistreated. She obviously wasn't in the mood for playing anymore.
she is sometimes moody with others thanks to her previous owners who encouraged it, and therefore i am careful with her around others, but i don't treat her cruelly she obviously just got fed up of the game she was playing 10 seconds before. Every dog has an off day. To even lump me in with these idiots is an insult. So yea, i can justify it.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
None of the above is anecdotal evidence is true and I can provide anecdotal evidence to prove it.
1) My old dog (sadly passed away) was yer typical Lab - adorable, docile, good with kids etc.- she would come to work with me and sit on the grass watching my back (she had that quality too). One day she was tired and stayed in the truck, I wound down the windows and she got her head down, a kid came by and started to tease her through the open window but she was good
the kid put his head through the open window to take it a step further and my gentle girl went ballistic her teeth grew bigger as the colour from the kids face disappeared, a face he was lucky to get out of the window intact.
So your dog came close to ripping a child's face off, yet you kept it?

asterix

Comrade Member
We've a cat we took on as an adult. It had a rather neglected early life and was treated with disrespect we believe.

He would sit on your lap quite happy being stroked and then suddenly it'd decide enough was enough and use his claws (as a 9cm scar on the palm of my hand will testify!) After 10 years of ownership he is completely docile with adults and very friendly so long as they don't treat him as a toy. He never has to cope with children. I don't think I could keep a dog that was like that; my brother tried it with a border collie and was very lucky that a child was not badly hurt by it, before it had to be put down.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
You sure about that?
course they do, you never had a headache? Felt a bit sick? You think animals don't get ill? Mine's had an ear infection this week. She seems better but it might be why she suddenly didn't wanna play anymore.

course they do, you never had a headache? Felt a bit sick? You think animals don't get ill? Mine's had an ear infection this week. She seems better but it might be why she suddenly didn't wanna play anymore.
It's your dog I'd hope you know but animals often tolerate human behaviour even though it's not something they really enjoy, you see this pretty often. The owner saying he loves this, as they do something you can clearly see the dog isn't loving but goes back out of loyalty and trust. Why people think animals have human traits defeats me.

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
the kid was teasing a dog that was off colour plus the dog was in a car and therefore duty bound to protect (an instinct we have bred into them). Most dogs protect vehicles they are in. I would have kept it.
Well, there's no way I'd want an animal that almost ripped a child's face off simply because the kid poked its head through the window.

TeeQue

Just before we adopted our dog we attended a talk at the rescue centre. During this we were told a story about a dog which attacked a child and was subsequently put down. Upon examining the corpse the vet discovered 12 staples in the dogs back. It's very hard to blame a child for stapling a dog it could easily be argued they didn't know what they were doing but the dog did not harm the child for the first 11 and only retaliated after the twelfth. Personally I'd happily keep that dog and think it says an awful lot about its temperament. In general a dog will give you a number of warnings before attacking and will usually only attack as a last resort.

That said I would never leave a child alone with a dog, they simply don't have enough about them to see when the dog is getting uncomfortable with something and are not able to recognise the warning signs and when it should just be left alone.

asterix

Comrade Member
Nevertheless, as with humans, there are problem individuals amongst dogs too. On my commute there was a dog called Tyson that would attack other dogs and also cyclists apparently. The owner was a bit of an oddball so maybe that explains something. Eventually the dog had to be put down, not sure what happened to the owner.

Well, there's no way I'd want an animal that almost ripped a child's face off simply because the kid poked its head through the window.

It's ok tho cos she's responsible and not one of these people she was slagging off. It was just having an "off day due to having a sore head, and someone was calling it names or something"

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
next time you walk past a parked car with a dog in, put your hand against the window. I bet it goes for you. Most dogs in cars protect the car. No matter what breed they are.

Top Bottom