Dangerous overtake at a junction - your opinion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Im pretty new here and have watched a few of these vids where people want to "do " drivers . I just don't understand it . If you have a prick behind you just wave them past when its safe . They will be on their way and you can get on with enjoying the ride .
Cars etc sat behind me just annoys me so I would rather they where out the way as soon as possible .
Yeah this is the safest and best option, but when you've been commuting for years and get this sort of shoot nearly every day it can wear you right down until one day you start doing stupid things like chasing people down, shouting in bus windows etc. It's even more annoying when one is endeavoring to cycle safely and responsibly and trying to improve one's road craft and each day feels like there are more and more tossers trying to kill you. I took personal offence at being deliberately cut up all the time and thought to myself "would I put up with this if I were walking down the road and some other pedestrian pushed me into the road?". No I wouldn't. IMHO people who accept dangerous driving without challenging it, even in a small way, are inviting the behaviours in the above video. If people think they can bully slower and/or more vulnerable road users and get away with it, they will keep doing it, it's like any piss-taker be it with money, crime, relationships, anything. If they are not challenged they will keep doing it until eventually they go too far, and by that time it's too late.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Yeah this is the safest and best option, but when you've been commuting for years and get this sort of s*** nearly every day it can wear you right down until one day you start doing stupid things like chasing people down, shouting in bus windows etc. It's even more annoying when one is endeavoring to cycle safely and responsibly and trying to improve one's road craft and each day feels like there are more and more tossers trying to kill you. I took personal offence at being deliberately cut up all the time and thought to myself "would I put up with this if I were walking down the road and some other pedestrian pushed me into the road?". No I wouldn't. IMHO people who accept dangerous driving without challenging it, even in a small way, are inviting the behaviours in the above video. If people think they can bully slower and/or more vulnerable road users and get away with it, they will keep doing it, it's like any ****-taker be it with money, crime, relationships, anything. If they are not challenged they will keep doing it until eventually they go too far, and by that time it's too late.

Fair points and I guess as I don't ride to get anywhere fast or to a timetable I don't really care if it takes a bit longer . I have noticed if you wave one car past the rest seem to think you are waving them all past even when you get back into the line of traffic .
Cycling has however changed my driving on the road . Ive always been aware of bikes but now I like to block the rest of the traffic in my white van :whistle: so the bike has the road . Its only going to pass us all at the lights anyway so whats the point and I take the blame :laugh:

Top Bottom