Dangerous overtake at a junction - your opinion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Its surprising when people post things on here that I now just leave. Yes, the person was an ignoramus, but I dont see any outcome of reporting it to the police. Believe me, the police will watch the footage very carefully and pick up on anything you have done wrong (following the car over the cross roads on the wrong side of the road, using the Hornet). What you did in relation to the car was fine, nothing wrong there, but be careful what you show to the police. They like to make you think that you are partly to blame for what happened and as a result, scare you into not taking it further. Just so they dont have to do the paperwork.

I am not saying all police services are like this, but its the impression that I get. Unless there is substantial proof that the person can be charged with something.

I have three people pull out infront of me today. One Lorry (driver called me something glasses related) after he barged his way through traffic at a junction, one car that either didnt see me or was just being impatient at a junction so pulled out and was forced to stop and block traffic, and one van who had ample time to pull out but chose to do it just as I was approaching, causing me to brake and swerve out of the way.
Do any of these deserve to be reported to the police? Probably two of them. Will I report them to the police? No. Will I give them their own video on Youtube? No. Will I include them in my monthly compilation? Yes. Thats the only publicity these apes are going to get.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
It's not always safe to do so thats the problem, and at a RBL, it wouldent of been the best place to do so either

I understand that I wasn't there so cant judge the situation but it does seem to me that these vids are out to "get" drivers . Maybe putting yourself at risk to do so ?
Like I said I just don't get it . Wave them past and the issue is gone within seconds rather than looking over your shoulder all the time worrying about it .

Its surprising when people post things on here that I now just leave. Yes, the person was an ignoramus, but I dont see any outcome of reporting it to the police. Believe me, the police will watch the footage very carefully and pick up on anything you have done wrong (following the car over the cross roads on the wrong side of the road, using the Hornet). What you did in relation to the car was fine, nothing wrong there, but be careful what you show to the police. They like to make you think that you are partly to blame for what happened and as a result, scare you into not taking it further. Just so they dont have to do the paperwork.

I am not saying all police services are like this, but its the impression that I get. Unless there is substantial proof that the person can be charged with something.

I have three people pull out infront of me today. One Lorry (driver called me something glasses related) after he barged his way through traffic at a junction, one car that either didnt see me or was just being impatient at a junction so pulled out and was forced to stop and block traffic, and one van who had ample time to pull out but chose to do it just as I was approaching, causing me to brake and swerve out of the way.
Do any of these deserve to be reported to the police? Probably two of them. Will I report them to the police? No. Will I give them their own video on Youtube? No. Will I include them in my monthly compilation? Yes. Thats the only publicity these apes are going to get.

This is an interesting post. You seem (picked out in bold type) to suggest that the Police in your town are idle jobsworths who will do what they can to avoid paperwork. I hope that isn't true.

Nonetheless, you seem less inclined to engage and confront than you were previously - and I welcome that and congratulate you on your new, less SuperCop profile.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
This is an interesting post. You seem (picked out in bold type) to suggest that the Police in your town are idle jobsworths who will do what they can to avoid paperwork. I hope that isn't true.

Nonetheless, you seem less inclined to engage and confront than you were previously - and I welcome that and congratulate you on your new, less SuperCop profile.
My police really do seem to be jobsworths. Its the impression I get anyway. As a result of their reluctance to act on 'minor' matters, I dont report much anymore. The last thing I reported was the harassing taxi driver on New Years Day. I would like to make it at least a year until my next report (which probably will happen). It will have to be a substantial incident for me to report it though.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Well lets all get het up about it then. Its just what goes on. I wont get worried about it. It's unnerving for a new cyclist though.

Het up? No. But there is an unnerving resistance amongst many cyclists to shy away from speaking up for road safety, change and the promotion of cycling. If we don't speak out nothing will change. Thats been proven as far back as Ghandi and King and can be now seen happening on the road.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
Happens all the time, had worse too. It's just urban argy bargy. The drivers lose with me as I am a barsteward. I don't shout or anything, but my bike position makes it known. I go you drop back.

I agree,I ride the back streets all the time and this is quite common argy bargy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JKility

Regular
Things like this will no way put me off cycling, cycling is just a way of life.... and its cheaper than the ridiculous £4.00 a day first bus ticket... the bike departs when you want it to! Where ever possible i'll report bad drivers/driving (via name and shame and/or police depending on severity)

Hip Priest

Veteran
It was just one of those overtakes where the driver gives the cyclist plenty of space but neglects to read the road ahead.

Bad driving basically, but I'm unsure what the police could do about it.

To be fair, it's a combination of bad driver judgement but also partly your positioning in the lead up. Personally when coming up to junctions like that I move out in the last 10metres so I hog the middle of the road forcing the cars to wait if I Intend on going right/straight over. That way the car has to stay behind me while I clear the junction. Onced passed a big thumbs up and acknowlegment of thanks are given :smile: Never had any punishment passes yet. :smile:

Jezston

Über Member
Just to check as it's hard to see from the footage, but the first instance, you are sat in primary in the furthermost right lane by a roundabout, right?

Then the impatient arse squeezes in to the lane besides you putting you in a rather precarious position, and no idea what will happen when they start moving, with the potential of them just taking you out?

If that's the case then driver is a cocking shunt.

Really sad that many people find that kind of behaviour tolerable. Wouldn't have been ok if they then made a misjudgement taking off and ran over the cyclist.

Top Bottom