Dartmoor railway line reopened today! (Exeter to Okehampton)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
but they had their own unique way of sorting out problem loco's, didn't Gordon get bricked up in a disused tunnel for being pompous? perhaps it could be added to the things aren't what they were thread, WRT cruel and unusual punishments
Henry. Based on a real story, apparently.

I have the banned version of Henry the Green Engine. Written in a time before the negative connotation of certain words was well known.

When I used to read this books to my son I had to add various bits to it to correct the horrendous safety errors that were just accepted as part of running a fictional railway. No accident investigations, no training points, toolbox talks nor immediate interventions. Shocking.

DRM

Guru
Henry. Based on a real story, apparently.

I have the banned version of Henry the Green Engine. Written in a time before the negative connotation of certain words was well known.

When I used to read this books to my son I had to add various bits to it to correct the horrendous safety errors that were just accepted as part of running a fictional railway. No accident investigations, no training points, toolbox talks nor immediate interventions. Shocking.
That’s right, the whole tales are seared in my brain as my son would insist on them being read every night without fail.

T4tomo

Guru
I heard about that, too. What was the line used after Beeching and before the re-railification?
The rails were never lifted, as used privately by a quarry company for transporting stone, hence the ability to re-open it. Had the rails gone, the expense of re-railing would mean it would never see the light of day. The only real options then (as is for similar closed lines) are falling into further disuse / dereliction or getting enough oomph behind a campaign to make a mixed used bridle/cycle/foot way.

I've caught the odd bit of "Walking Britain's Lost Railways" on TV. In some places you would know a railway even existed.

Top Bottom