Darwin Escapee?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm still not in favour of using the phrase POB. Sure, he was probably a dumbass or worse, but I'm not going to be snobby and call him a POB.

I admit I used to use this phrase, but Jakob convinced me that it's waaay uncool.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
BM, first time I've used it. I figure this was extreme enough.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
It's surprising how many passengers cross the tracks at work to save going up the stairs to get to the other platform. Although I can't say I have noticed any of them with bikes. Have caught a few with suitcases, pushchairs and baby etc though. When confronted the vast majority of them are not from the UK and claim that they do this all the time back home (where ever that may be)

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Brother was a signalman. He always said the clean up crews preferred to go to a hit in the country rather than the city centre.

Buy the time they'd got there the crows and other carrion had got rid of a lot of the gore.....

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
yorkshiregoth said:
It's surprising how many passengers cross the tracks .......... claim that they do this all the time back home (where ever that may be)

I have to say that in Europe there have been countries where I have crossed the rails at specific places on the platform - did it in Switzerland this year, and I'm sure I've done it in Italy ages ago. I don't know what Swiss rails accident rate is but I rate their train system, and the train tracks seemed much more integrated into the community, rather than the heavily fenced off tracks that there is here in England.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
In my 11 years and counting with LUL I have only had to deal with what we call "One Under's" once. Lost count the number of near misses though.

JamesAC

'..narrowly missing electrocution from a live rail. Police have described the incident as "truly shocking" ..':biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
JamesAC said:
'..narrowly missing electrocution from a live rail. Police have described the incident as "truly shocking" ..':biggrin:

Ahem. I think you'll find that point has already been made...:biggrin:

JamesAC

Arch said:
Ahem. I think you'll find that point has already been made...:biggrin:
Indeed. My apologies .. :biggrin:

Some lines, particularly in the South East, have the 'live rail' or 'third rail' system, where there's a third, electrified rail which the train picks up power from. The London Underground works this way too.

Other lines use overhead wires, where the train has a pantograph on the roof (like a Blackpool tram) to pick up power.

Other lines aren't electrified at all, the trains are diesels.

Step on the live rail and you'll get fried.

Kids like throwing supermarket trollies off bridges onto the overhead wires because it's presumably pretty spectacular.

Top Bottom