Darwin Escapee?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

andy_wrx said:
Other lines use overhead wires, where the train has a pantograph on the roof (like a Blackpool tram) to pick up power.

Hence the occasion when an old lady from London asked one of the ticket inspectors whether she'd electrocute herself if she stepped onto the rails at a Metro station in Newcastle. "Aaanly if yor otha leg is up awa them lines above the train, Pet" was the answer.

buggi

Bird Saviour
a fireman told me about an incident he went to at Birmingham International station. The report was to remove a body of someone who had jumped in front of a train but when he got there, there were about 20 ambulances and a copper on her knees being sick.

Apparently a guy who thought he had failed his exams jumped in front of the train between stations. the train driver got off the train and ran back up the track to look for him but couldn't find him. he radio'd control who told him to carry on to Birmingham International and pull in the sidings which were located just after the platforms. the driver did as he was told but as he pulled through the station (at rush hour) loads of people on the platform started to hit the deck. Turned out the guy who jumped had got stuck of the front of the train, the only place the driver hadn't looked, having lost his foot and hand and his eyes were popped out and resting on his cheeks. All the people on the platform that hit the deck had fainted from shock of seeing him.

my fireman mate and his colleague had to detach the man from the train. the other sad thing is... turned out the guy passed all his exams.

my mom's friend's son was at a station when his mate placed a 2p coin on the track. My mom's friend's son thought it would derail the train, called his mate a prat and jumped off the platform to pick up the 2p, unfortunately, he didn't make it back in time and he died.

bonj2

Eeeurgh.
sick0006.gif

Cab

Wouldn't you just assume that such a horribly disigured corpse on the front of a train was a really bad joke rather than actually a horribly disfigured corpse?

buggi

Bird Saviour
Cab said:
Wouldn't you just assume that such a horribly disigured corpse on the front of a train was a really bad joke rather than actually a horribly disfigured corpse?

i don't think British Rail have a sense of humour. i think he might have been quite realistic looking too, as he was actually real. :biggrin:

Cab

buggi said:
i don't think British Rail have a sense of humour. i think he might have been quite realistic looking too, as he was actually real. :biggrin:

While thats true, I'm sure I'd have assumed it was a bad joke, I'd be looking for the hidden TV camera before beliving it was real,

Arch

Married to Night Train
I remember a TV show that followed the Transport Police, and one of the incidents was a jumper who was under the train. One policeman asked his colleague, who was looking under the train, "Is he dead?", so that they knew whether they could move the train.

The reply was, "Well, he's got no head...."

That'll be a yes then...

buggi

Bird Saviour
i read in a book once, written by a London fireman (you may have got the gist by now that i like firemen yum yum!) that they went to a jumper on the London Underground. the guy didn't die, he just lost his left leg. a year later they got another call. same guy. still didn't die but lost his right leg!

Life's a bitch eh!

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Read about one guy a few years ago, in the papers. I think he'd had a bike crash, but the doctors had saved his leg, reattaching it below the knee. Only probem was he'd been in constant pain for years, the doctors couldn't do anything and refused to amputate.

So he went down to the tracks and got a train to do it.......

Maz said:
Just curious...Are all railway lines electrified? (as they were in this case)

No.Generally the Southern Region and tube lines are.750v and a lot of amps.

Tube is 650 volts.

Liverpool St has 25000 volts overhead so don't go near it.As with Kings Cross and Euston.

So it's not a good idea to cross the track or even get out of a train unless under supervision.

Top Bottom