Das Boot..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

I have been watching this for about 2 hours....

I am a "claustrophobic" (seriously) and this is the most accurate conveyance....HEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
ALARM!

Noodley said:
I am a "claustrophobic" (seriously)

Yeah! I went caving with a claustrophobic. He said he wanted to overcome his fear.

My biggest mistake was to let him go first. I was run over by 6ft muscly monster as he charged gibbering from the cave entrance, still attached to the rope he'd insisted I put between him and me :biggrin: I've still got the bruises and he's still got my cave boot footprint in his ass from when I hauled him to a stop and caught him up (mostly by overcoming his charge with the inertia of my poleaxed body wrapped around some nearby rocks :biggrin::smile:!:biggrin:)

I like Das Boot, great film making.

Anyway, I've hidden the eggs on behalf of the Easter bunny and now I'm off to bed - G'night.

Great movie, great filming, great characterisation. Terrible end.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I do not usually like War Films, but somehow "Das Boot" is the exception, along with other Submarine films, like "Crimson Tide" and "Hunt for Red October".

I had the opportunity to go in a Submarine last summer. Getting in and out was not easy, a ten foot or so ladder with big gaps between the rungs. It was very much smaller inside than I thought it would be. The hatches, or doors are very very small, and the bunks were very narrow, and short. Getting out was even worse than getting in, the ladder was very wobbly and had some rungs missing.

This was at the Maritime Museum in Goteborg, Sweden. (Health and Safety in this Country would not have allowed people on the Sub.) There was also a Gun Ship, and lots and lots of other boats etc. An excellent Museum.

the main mechanic guy - very skeletal - looks just like the bloke who worked upstairs in Bikefix (i think). he used to build frames and he redid my Orange Clockwork to fix track ends. i can't remember his name, but he went off to start his own distribution business. saw him at the bike show and he looked a lot healthier - he said it was due to fresh air now that he was away from all the welding and spraying.

think he could have been called Helmut.

anyway... Das Boot. glorious film/series. makes you realise the U-Boats didn't have it their own way once the codes were cracked and their war was very different from the portrayal in comics, etc.

First DVD I ever bought, when DVD were new shiney round discs of loveliness, with an appropriate price tag, to slip into the 'first in the family' new shiney DVD player.
Could buy a dozen players now for what that first player cost, what? 10 years ago?

Globalti

Legendary Member
My Grandad was in HMS Southampton from 1915 to 1917, in his diary he tells how at one time on convoy protection in the North Atlantic the ship hit something underwater with a hell of a bang, then started vibrating as if a prop shaft was bent. They dry docked her in Rosyth and found 45 yards of submarine ridge cable wrapped around the prop.....

Bigtallfatbloke

Blimey...thats a great tale.

I was inside a U -Boat once, it is in Kiel in northern Germany up near the baltic coast somewhere. There is a German navy museum there and a preserved wolfpack U boat. Inside it is incredibly small...REALLY small, much smaller than it looked in the film last night. There were 'bunks' under the torpeado tubes and everything. I couldnt stand up straight anywhere in the boat, I had to duck my head and hunch my shoulders at all times, I am 6' 4".

I cannot imagine how horrible it must have been on board those things in the middle of the north atlantic.

Top Bottom