daughter gone... With bicycles...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just delivered my eldest to her new home near her new university. Two years living abroad and I still fuss like a mother hen.

Cool thing is, I've dropped two bicycles off for her, too. A shopper for college and a road bike for fun.

she wanted both and they were buckshee as only she used them.

Despite all the time we've spent together doing this bearing and that adjustment and all this and that, I am terrified like a terrified person about her having a puncture or a wobbly bearing or a crash when I'm over a hundred miles away.

I know these things come to pass and she's lived away and far,far away... But this is with a BICYCLE....

TWO BICYCLES!!!!

I am nervous and would like some reassurance that these things end well.

Thank you.

edindave

Über Member
I trust you did get her two helmet cameras?

I hope this response has helped, but I fear it may not have ;)

PK99

Legendary Member
I've just delivered my eldest to her new home near her new university. Two years living abroad and I still fuss like a mother hen.

Cool thing is, I've dropped two bicycles off for her, too. A shopper for college and a road bike for fun.

she wanted both and they were buckshee as only she used them.

Despite all the time we've spent together doing this bearing and that adjustment and all this and that, I am terrified like a terrified person about her having a puncture or a wobbly bearing or a crash when I'm over a hundred miles away.

I know these things come to pass and she's lived away and far,far away... But this is with a BICYCLE....

TWO BICYCLES!!!!

I am nervous and would like some reassurance that these things end well.

Thank you.

My daughter is 24, in first job and back living at home temporarily, after never being at home for more than 2 weeks at a stretch since she went to Uni

Two points:

1 I recognise the fussy hen syndrome, did the same thing when she went out for a ride

2 How can one person have so much STUFF and how come it seems to inveigle its way into every room in the damned house!

These things do end well, she had an offer accepted on a flat today!

Hip Priest

Veteran
If she's her father's daughter then she'll be wise enough to stay out of trouble or articulate enough to talk herself out of it!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
My Father was quite helpful when he dropped me off at University. I did not happen to plan for the fact that I was going to a mid-sized city in the south that had no public transportation, and quite spread out. My friends told me I had to go to Camu, which was The Church of Christ and Man United, Inc. which had a business on the side refurbishing old bicycles. They sold me a very old Raleigh DL1 for a reasonable price and I got around on that for some years of education until they finally handed me a diploma and told me to get a job.

oldroadman

Veteran
How old is the lady? Grown up enough to be at uni, grown up enough to look after herself, and she will soon learn how to sort things out. A bit of tough love, for instance a puncture, send repair kit, inner tube, tools and instructions. Leave offspring to get on with it. Never underestimate people's potential for coping. However, you'll never stop worrying about your kids, this is revenge on us for being independent bike riding so and so's when we were young and our parents worried about us!! :smile:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I hope you have told her not to lend them out to people. It's all too easy to get caught out like that. People will think it's her duty to lend them a bike to get home because they have missed the last bus or whatever. They will say things like "Oh but you've got two bikes" and "It's only a bike". Warn her against these people and tell her to have her excuses at the ready. People are basically gits and will not treat her bike with care or respect. They may well leave it in the rain or unlocked somewhere. They may even lend it on to a third party. A good tip is to deflate a tyre on one of the bikes and say that it has a puncture.

OP
OP
Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic

How old is the lady? Grown up enough to be at uni, grown up enough to look after herself, and she will soon learn how to sort things out. A bit of tough love, for instance a puncture, send repair kit, inner tube, tools and instructions. Leave offspring to get on with it. Never underestimate people's potential for coping. However, you'll never stop worrying about your kids, this is revenge on us for being independent bike riding so and so's when we were young and our parents worried about us!! :smile:

20... And she does punctures better than I do. She laughs at my stone-age belief in rubber solution...

OP
OP
Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic

I hope you have told her not to lend them out to people. It's all too easy to get caught out like that. People will think it's her duty to lend them a bike to get home because they have missed the last bus or whatever. They will say things like "Oh but you've got two bikes" and "It's only a bike". Warn her against these people and tell her to have her excuses at the ready. People are basically gits and will not treat her bike with care or respect. They may well leave it in the rain or unlocked somewhere. They may even lend it on to a third party. A good tip is to deflate a tyre on one of the bikes and say that it has a puncture.

I have... ermmm... discussed this with her. I went through seventeen different sorts ofd social pressure she might come under to lend out a bike:

"You've got two bikes in the garage... I just need to pop out for some milk/to a party etc...."

It was a long discussion in which she pretended to listen while I spoke.

I lend bikes to anyone, but that's my choice and I can afford the hassle. She can't. Or the repairs.

I worry most about the road bike, which is a slightly tired Angliru, but which has nice kit on it and it a good, tight, fast, clean machine.

I worry most about the Angliru, but also about... EVERYTHING!

Top Bottom