Dawes - are they really that bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonoB

Über Member
My LBS guy tells me that reps for Dawes are getting hammered by the cyleshop owners at the moment. Apparently bikes are being bought at one spec. and turning up with another, spokes are breaking on brand new bikes, etc. Quality control issues??? Who owns them these days?

This sounds a bit like the British Car Industry disease here........

Does any body have any inside information?

Anthony

All I can comment on is my own dawes galaxy. I got it new this year and have cycled to the south of spain with it. I had no problems what so ever, it was a joy to ride.

Chris James

Über Member
My 2006 Audax has been faultless - with the exception of a cracked wheel rim that was replaced with no bother - as well as a beautiful ride.

Mine says it is made in Taiwan on it. I assumed that referred to the frame rather than (just?) the bike.

I suppose they have used various frame builders over the years. I recall seeing a Galaxy in my LBS about three years ago that had Fort stickers on it, so presumably they were making the frames then.

Bigtallfatbloke

I love my Galaxy 2007 , I call him 'Shinto'. It has got me around East Anglia, N>S Germany and into Switzerland & Then it did N>S France all fully loaded up with camping rig etc. In France I had absoluty ZERO mechanical issues and in Germany I had a few busted spokes due to cobblestones and town curbs.

However whilst the bile is fine, the after sales from Dawes is appalling. The really dont care at all. my impression is that they simply act as importer of ready built bikes from the far east...they dont seem to have any inclination to look after you once you have one of the bikes. My local Dawes serviceing dealer is useless...not to mention a ripoff merchant.

Shame .

simoncc

JonoB said:
My LBS guy tells me that reps for Dawes are getting hammered by the cyleshop owners at the moment. Apparently bikes are being bought at one spec. and turning up with another, spokes are breaking on brand new bikes, etc. Quality control issues??? Who owns them these days?

These sound exactly like the problems I had with my 1997 Dawes Audax. It was a mess, and the forks were badly out of true. My 2004 Ultra Galaxy has been superb though with no problems at all. It is a superb bike.

Sounds like the old problems are back.

LondonCommuter

I'm very happy with my Galaxy that I bought in July, though I was surprised to need a new cassette and chain after only a 1000 miles, though this was probably a combination of not cleaning the chain enough to start with and riding it hard. My LBS where I bought it say that they only sell the Galaxy because they have had so many problems in recent years with the cheaper models so this does bear out what people are saying.

dudi

I had a dawes explorer hybrid once. I had no prolems with it.

The only time it broke was when i had an argument with a lorry. but it was the forks, front wheel and handlebars that broke.

No broken spokes though... :tongue:

Domestique

Über Member
JonoB said:

When we where looking for a new tourer we had our hearts set on a Galaxy, untill we talked to the LBS (a Dawes dealer).
Five year warranty on steel frames now, which was a lifetime warranty.
A £1000 for us is a lot of money and a five years on a £1000 bike just didnt sound good ;)
In the end we got a Ridgeback Panorama

http://www.dawescycles.com/dawes/warrenty-information.htm

LondonCommuter

But what's the Ridgeback warranty for comparison? And does it really mean anything? Most of a bike (drivetrain etc.) is subject to wear and tear and even the frame is going to depend on how you treat it. Moreover, if there is a genuine manufacturing fault the Sale of Good Act etc. applies

Domestique

Über Member
AFAIK the warranty on the ridgeback frame is a lifetime.
Plus the lbs is one I have been using for over twenty years and I have to say I have found them most trustworthy in that time.
It was on their (lbs) recommendation I steered clear of the Dawes, we really wanted a Galaxy. It was a comment I took to be said in a good customer/shop relationship, even if it meant I might take my money elsewhere.

MarkF

Guru
Domestique said:
It was a comment I took to be said in a good customer/shop relationship, even if it meant I might take my money elsewhere.

Frankly, I'd think I was dealing with a complete fruitcake. Is this true? Your local LBS, a DAWES dealer recommended you not to buy a Dawes:wacko:

Shame to read about Dawes, I am on my third Discovery, they have been great and suffered a lot of abuse with nothing failing although because I have had no failures I don't have experience of other equivalents, say Sirrus's or FX's.

Have to admit to wondering why Dawes never get recommended when the popular request for decent hybird keeps appearing.;)

Danny

Legendary Member
Dawes bikes haven't been made in the UK for years, and while they may still be designed in the UK, they are really not that different from any other bike importer.

I personally take the complaints about poor quality with a pinch of salt, and suspect that the real reason is that Dawes are struggling to compete with other suppliers.

My LBS sells both Dawes and Ridgebacks, but provides much more shop space for the latter. I believe this is because Ridgeback have a better range of good value "urban hybrid" type bikes which seem to be what sells at the moment - and possibly because the LBS gets a better deal from Ridgeback.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I do wonder how long Dawes will survive. Once a great name in bicycles that somehow have lost the plot in recent years. The Galaxy is still a great touring bike, but faces some damn tough competition in (if you'll excuse me) the less glamorous "Touring" market. Its Audax bike is OK, but still seems 'dated' compared to others offerings, somehow even their top-end bikes have a look of a bit of cost-cutting here and there. The Kara Kum is a great if often overlooked bike as is the Horizon.
The Hybrids are fine if unexceptional, they have no MTB heritage and their road bikes are past their sell-by date.
To add insult to injury, their website's a joke.
I'm a big fan of Dawes, but I'm getting worried...

Domestique

Über Member
Frankly, I'd think I was dealing with a complete fruitcake. Is this true? Your local LBS, a DAWES dealer recommended you not to buy a Dawes:wacko:

No, of cause it isnt true, I am a habitual lier and thought I would post it as I have got nothing else to worry about!

Top Bottom