Dawes Badge dating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
From: https://dawescycles.wordpress.com/portfolio/head-badge-timeline/
Do you think this is correct?

1975-1981: 3rd Model
headbadge-3rdmodel.jpg

1982-2000s: 4th Model
headbadge-4thmodel.jpg

More Dawes dating info here:
https://dawescycles.wordpress.com/date/

1978 Catalogue
https://dawescycles.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/1978-dawes-cat-vcc-library.pdf

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My 1975 Galaxy has the 3rd model headbadge, so that is correct.
My 1997 Horizon has a decal instead.

carpenter

Über Member
The first one looks like it may have gone on a bit longer than 1981 - There is a 1982 catalogue which shows it still in use (or would there have been an overlap in the two designs? using up old stock?)

(The top one looks exactly like one on a Dawes Galaxy mixte which I am doing up at the moment, although I don't know the date of mine)

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
The first one looks like it may have gone on a bit longer than 1981 - There is a 1982 catalogue which shows it still in use (or would there have been an overlap in the two designs? using up old stock?

(The top one looks exactly like one on a Dawes Galaxy mixte which I am doing up at the moment)

Yes, that's what I thought too.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Fair enough - didn't notice that proviso
I was a little bit interested because a few years ago I bought an attractive light blue Galaxy with a wreath badge, thinking that if I had a bike similar to those I rode in my twenties it would "refresh the parts other bikes couldn't reach". Suffice to say it didn't work, and the Galaxy has since been sold.

At the time the evidence I found suggested a wreath badge is 1980 or earlier, a "thing" is 1982 or after. I think the jury was out regarding 1981, so the information in the OP is looking promising.

There was a story I read somewhere about the earlier torch badge. After a major factory fire in the mid-1970s, which amongst other things destroyed a lot of earlier records, it was considered inappropriate. In the circumstances would you replace it with a wreath? Maybe.

figbat

Slippery scientist
My 1979 Kingpin (dated from the SA hub and brake caliper stampings) has your first one as a head badge, and a matching decal on the chain guard.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Coming late to this: My 1979 Kingpin has the first headbadge as did the 79/80 Junior Kingpin that originally got me hooked on cycling.

My 1997 Galaxy has the sticker as shown in @Paulus 's post.

I suspect that the pictures from the 1982 catalogue referred to earlier would have been taken during 1981 so wouldn't necessarily reflect any changes to the graphics made that year.

davidphilips

Veteran
Just looking after seeing this thread, Been sitting for years 2 old Dawes badges and a Raleigh badge, think the larger Dawes badge is pre 1974, but what ever? know i will never use them so any one need/want/collect them can post free all i ask if you do take them when they arrive and if you are happy with them put a £ or 2 into an animal charity.

Attachments

• 100_9430[1].JPG
    100_9430[1].JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 18

Punkawallah

Über Member
Hi. Black oval is ‘82-2k. Torch is ‘63x’74. Not sure about the Raleigh. Would love to take them off your hands, happy to cover postage :-)

Top Bottom