Dawes bundled paneer racks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cromcruaich

Thinking of getting a dawes sardar as a cheapo expedition bike - nothing too hardcore - hence why my budget cant justify a more upmarket choice.

However, one thing that you've got to trust is the paneer racks - anyone any experience of if the dawers bundled paneer racks (front and rear) are up to the job of carrying normal expedition wild camping supplies and paraphenalia without working lose etc?

ta in advance.

Are they special racks for carrying cheese?:biggrin:
I've never used the pannier racks that come with Dawes bikes, but I used a cheap rack for years on my commuter. It was absolutely fine. Don't worry about it, just get out there and use them.

OP
OP
C

Cromcruaich

My love of a certain curry dish must of clouded my mind. Funnily enough its that love that has lead me to get out on the bike. :smile:

Ta for advice, nice to hear from anyone else who has em as well though.

Friend of mine used the el cheapo rack that came with his Dawes Majove for a 2000 mile tour. He had no problems with it, although he did pack quite light if that made any difference. 2 panniers and a tent that weighed less than 1kg.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I've not had Dawes racks but haven't ever had any problems with Dawes kit. As long as you're not taking heavy camping equipment through the Himalayas, I reckon you'd be fine for a while!!

My Galaxy is 18 years old and has been hammered. I've carried sacks of potatoes, crates of lager, flat pack furniture and toured extensively on the rack that came with it. Just go out and enjoy yourself.
I won't speak for more modern kit, though.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The front racks that came with my Galaxy were garbage. They relied on a piece of friction, plastic to hold the central strut in place. It gradually worked it's way loose before disintegrating. I don't know the make of the racks though.

Tony

I have an old-style Sardar and a Galaxy. The Galaxy is about twenty years old. Both bikes are on the original racks. I tour extensively on several continents. Racks still intact.

Top Bottom