Dawes Galaxy rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steeler

Über Member
So I'm having another go at building up my Galaxy frame having not been happy with the previous two attempts, firstly with (mostly) Shimano LX 3x9 speed gearing on flat bars then with Tiagra 2x10 speed compact on drop bars. Now that I've retired (and in the current lockdown situation) I'm rebuilding it with a loop bar and a mix of road & MTB gearing. At the moment I'm waiting for a Miche Graff 30/46 chainset to be delivered and have a Microshift 10 speed rear derailleur shifting through an 11-36 cassette.
I'll post some pictures of the build over the next week and we'll see how it goes.

sounds like you are a serious tinkerer there.

Can't help but ask what was wrong with the 3x9 flatbar - my favourite config really. something to do with the limitations of the frame for you and your preferred fit?

OP
OP
Steeler

Steeler

Über Member
sounds like you are a serious tinkerer there.

Can't help but ask what was wrong with the 3x9 flatbar - my favourite config really. something to do with the limitations of the frame for you and your preferred fit?

I think that I was uncomfortable with the hand position on the Ritchey flat bars even with the slight back sweep. I've now got some loop bars from Bikester which have a bit more of a back sweep without going to extremes so should be more comfortable on the wrists & shoulders also giving different hand position options.

I think that I was uncomfortable with the hand position on the Ritchey flat bars even with the slight back sweep. I've now got some loop bars from Bikester which have a bit more of a back sweep without going to extremes so should be more comfortable on the wrists & shoulders also giving different hand position options.
did you fit bar ends?

OP
OP
Steeler

Steeler

Über Member
This is what the loop bar looks like.

Attachments

• 20210325_153428.jpg
    20210325_153428.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 23
Yes, Ergon GP2 grips with integrated bar ends.
OK - still intrigued by the ditching of the 3x9 speed config tho - 22/32/44 on the front and 12-36 on the back seems to me to be able to cope with anything for touring general purpose riding if you don't want to speed. All Shimano, and the 12-36 cassette is excellent value, if less so with Brexit. Bit of a faff setting up the front triple to begin with of course.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Guru
the loop bars look like "bull bars" for bikes, although I suggest not testing them out on a passing cow! is that a working clock on the top cap? quite neat (although my garmin tells me the time).

in contrast to Drago, I have some microshift stuff on some of the fleet and I'm quite impressed with it on a VFM and shifting performance basis, particularly as you can get new stuff for 10 speed road bikes at reasonable money and compatible with Shimano 10 spd, especially now Tiagra 4700 isn't compatible with the rest of shimano 10spd.

OP
OP
Steeler

Steeler

Über Member
the loop bars look like "bull bars" for bikes, although I suggest not testing them out on a passing cow! is that a working clock on the top cap? quite neat (although my garmin tells me the time).

in contrast to Drago, I have some microshift stuff on some of the fleet and I'm quite impressed with it on a VFM and shifting performance basis, particularly as you can get new stuff for 10 speed road bikes at reasonable money and compatible with Shimano 10 spd, especially now Tiagra 4700 isn't compatible with the rest of shimano 10spd.

Yes, that is a clock on the stem cap. Got it from Temple Cycles in Bristol (not sure if they still stock them) as I thought that it looked good. Got the Microshift derailleur for about 20 quid or thereabouts so it doesn't break the bank. I also have a Shimano RD-M6000 rear mech on standby if I find that I need to use a winder range cassette (11-42) but I don't plan to do any heavily laden touring, just the occasional overnight B&B forays and long day trips. I'd like to do JOG-LE or LE-JOG but my wife wouldn't be happy with me being away on the bike for so long because of my bike accident in 2007 which resulted in a serious head injury and a couple of months in hospital.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steeler

Steeler

Über Member
So the Miche chainset arrived today and has been installed. Quite tight in the Shimano BB cups and needed a bit of persuasion from my rubber mallet, should've bought a Miche BB perhaps. Might have a bit of a problem when I want to remove it but will cross that bridge later.
The left hand crank arm was also really tight to bolt up - I thought that I had it cross threaded or slightly misaligned but after removing it and inspecting it everything looked OK so I smothered it with grease and refitted it with a long Allen key, backing off a few times while bolting it up.

Anyway, setting up and adjusting the derailleurs so hope to post a few pics later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steeler

Steeler

Über Member
So had a bit of a pootle around the neighbourhood for about seven miles and am quite pleased with the gearing, will probably be ideal for the riding I intend with nothing heavier than a couple of medium sized rear panniers and a bar bag. I think that I'll get on with the sweep on the loop bars and the alternative hand hold positions.
Very pleased apart from almost getting left-hooked by a VW van on my way home, just saved by a speed bump slowing him down before the junction. Hey-ho!

Top Bottom