Dawes hand built - any value?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
I bought this bike second hand about 20 years ago, not sure how old it is but I'm guessing about 25-30. Just wondering what to do with it, is it worth putting it on e-bay, if so how much should I start it at? I was going to keep it as a winter bike, but I've not used it at all, instead preferring to take my Orbea out and clean it when I get back! Thanks for any advice. Russell.

standalone

More photos at http://www.cyclechat.net/useralbums/dawes-vintage.345/view

SS Retro

Its up to you I would say looking at the kit its late 70's early 80's it only Reynolds 500 so its a bottom end tube set, but its all there and original.
If it were mine and it owes you nothing I would keep it and restore or maybe change to a single speed.

sidevalve

Über Member
Depends what model it is. I am, sorry to say a campaigner for older bikes and TBH I think a lot of people are bluffed into thinking that a "modern" bike is better when in many cases they just arn't, [not unless you spend a fair bit of cash anyway, and believe it or not, not everybody wants, or can, spend £500 + on a bike].
If it's a Dawes of that era it will still have been made in England and will have been [whatever the model] reasonably well built. Give it a clean, and pop it on E Bay starting at £50, you may be surprised.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Russell. That's a lovely old bike. I have a similar Dawes myself and I have to say its a very nice bike to ride. You won't get much on ebay for it so I would do it up a bit and use it. Is it 501 or 531?

OP
OP
RussellZero

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Its all very well saying use it, but I don't! I'd much rather clip in to my other bike which is lighter, smoother and fits me better! Im interested maybe if I changed it into a fixie, but have no idea why I'd want to ride it more if it were (Im just curious to see what it would be like!)

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
It is a big old frame, and they are not that easy to find. Get it on ebay and it'll go for a good amount and you can put the money into something you want. Make sure it is rideable as that will maximise its money. Apparently 'fixie riders' like tiny frames at the moment but mine used to be a 25" and I loved it. If you were local and I had any spare cash at the moment I would be knocking on your door.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
. . . I have a similar Dawes myself and I have to say its a very nice bike to ride.

I agree with the comments above.

I used to have one of these; no, it wasn't top-notch tubing, but it was by far, the most comfortable bike that I've ever had. Too many people are concerned about weight and frame material; give it a good clean, get it fettled and then use it.

sidevalve

Über Member
I agree with the comments above.

I used to have one of these; no, it wasn't top-notch tubing, but it was by far, the most comfortable bike that I've ever had. Too many people are concerned about weight and frame material; give it a good clean, get it fettled and then use it.
+1 for the above, but if you don't want it then get it sold to someone who wants a project. If you decide to turn it into a fixie then fine, it's your bike but remember not everybody out there will want a fixie and if you then decide to sell you've cut the number of potential customers by 75% [not everyone is a cycling "geek" ,no offence intended there]. You said you would only try a fixie for an experiment so I still suggest sell and pass on the pleasure.
As for weight it depends on the spec but if it's a Dawes it may well be 10kg - 10.5 kg or under as they often used double butted tubes,even on some of their lesser models, which isn't bad even now.
As I've said before I've looked at the specs for a lot of so called lightweight modern bikes and the difference [unless you pay out a lot of cash] is really very small, and steel frames do ride so well

screenman

Legendary Member
How come all you guys that like the old stuff have a computer. Just kidding.

I must admit I have a couple of older bikes, one a Barron road bike made with 653 and running Shimano 600, the other a Zaskar alloy mountain bike running XT, neither of these see the light of day as the newer bikes in the racks are just better.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
How come all you guys that like the old stuff have a computer. Just kidding.

I must admit I have a couple of older bikes, one a Barron road bike made with 653 and running Shimano 600, the other a Zaskar alloy mountain bike running XT, neither of these see the light of day as the newer bikes in the racks are just better.
older steel bikes are great to ride and own

screenman

Legendary Member
I suppose that is down to personal preference, I appreciate we are all not the same when it comes to this.

Top Bottom